Feb 26, 2013, 10:08 PM EDT
There was an odd scene in Minnesota on Tuesday night, as Wild forward Charlie Coyle received a five-minute major penalty for elbowing Calgary Flames center Matt Stajan.
Coyle didn’t receive a game misconduct, which often comes with a major penalty. Stajan’s reaction – some might say embellishment – was also immortalized in GIF form by video editor CJ Folger:
If you’re in the “Stajan should get an Oscar” camp, at least the power play didn’t pay off for Calgary. The Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo points out that the Wild somehow held the Flames to zero shots on a five-minute man advantage.
To add one more layer of oddness to the situation, beat writers for opposing teams hold opposing viewpoints.
Russo’s injury update drips with sarcasm:
Matt Stajan is fine and starting the third period for the #flames… Brushed off the elbow to the head that wasn’t an elbow to the head
— Michael Russo (@Russostrib) February 27, 2013
On the other hand, the Calgary Sun’s Randy Sportak thinks it was a bad check.
Hit by Coyle on Stajan should be a suspension – late & he lunged upward into the jaw. “Finishing the check” is a late, dirty hit.
— Randy Sportak (@SUNRandySportak) February 27, 2013
Either way, it makes for a mesmerizing GIF, doesn’t it?
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)