Feb 26, 2013, 10:08 PM EDT
There was an odd scene in Minnesota on Tuesday night, as Wild forward Charlie Coyle received a five-minute major penalty for elbowing Calgary Flames center Matt Stajan.
Coyle didn’t receive a game misconduct, which often comes with a major penalty. Stajan’s reaction – some might say embellishment – was also immortalized in GIF form by video editor CJ Folger:
If you’re in the “Stajan should get an Oscar” camp, at least the power play didn’t pay off for Calgary. The Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo points out that the Wild somehow held the Flames to zero shots on a five-minute man advantage.
To add one more layer of oddness to the situation, beat writers for opposing teams hold opposing viewpoints.
Russo’s injury update drips with sarcasm:
Matt Stajan is fine and starting the third period for the #flames… Brushed off the elbow to the head that wasn’t an elbow to the head
— Michael Russo (@Russostrib) February 27, 2013
On the other hand, the Calgary Sun’s Randy Sportak thinks it was a bad check.
Hit by Coyle on Stajan should be a suspension – late & he lunged upward into the jaw. “Finishing the check” is a late, dirty hit.
— Randy Sportak (@SUNRandySportak) February 27, 2013
Either way, it makes for a mesmerizing GIF, doesn’t it?
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)