Feb 26, 2013, 10:08 PM EDT
There was an odd scene in Minnesota on Tuesday night, as Wild forward Charlie Coyle received a five-minute major penalty for elbowing Calgary Flames center Matt Stajan.
Coyle didn’t receive a game misconduct, which often comes with a major penalty. Stajan’s reaction – some might say embellishment – was also immortalized in GIF form by video editor CJ Folger:
If you’re in the “Stajan should get an Oscar” camp, at least the power play didn’t pay off for Calgary. The Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo points out that the Wild somehow held the Flames to zero shots on a five-minute man advantage.
To add one more layer of oddness to the situation, beat writers for opposing teams hold opposing viewpoints.
Russo’s injury update drips with sarcasm:
Matt Stajan is fine and starting the third period for the #flames… Brushed off the elbow to the head that wasn’t an elbow to the head
— Michael Russo (@Russostrib) February 27, 2013
On the other hand, the Calgary Sun’s Randy Sportak thinks it was a bad check.
Hit by Coyle on Stajan should be a suspension – late & he lunged upward into the jaw. “Finishing the check” is a late, dirty hit.
— Randy Sportak (@SUNRandySportak) February 27, 2013
Either way, it makes for a mesmerizing GIF, doesn’t it?
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 71
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5