Feb 26, 2013, 10:08 PM EDT
There was an odd scene in Minnesota on Tuesday night, as Wild forward Charlie Coyle received a five-minute major penalty for elbowing Calgary Flames center Matt Stajan.
Coyle didn’t receive a game misconduct, which often comes with a major penalty. Stajan’s reaction – some might say embellishment – was also immortalized in GIF form by video editor CJ Folger:
If you’re in the “Stajan should get an Oscar” camp, at least the power play didn’t pay off for Calgary. The Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo points out that the Wild somehow held the Flames to zero shots on a five-minute man advantage.
To add one more layer of oddness to the situation, beat writers for opposing teams hold opposing viewpoints.
Russo’s injury update drips with sarcasm:
Matt Stajan is fine and starting the third period for the #flames… Brushed off the elbow to the head that wasn’t an elbow to the head
— Michael Russo (@Russostrib) February 27, 2013
On the other hand, the Calgary Sun’s Randy Sportak thinks it was a bad check.
Hit by Coyle on Stajan should be a suspension – late & he lunged upward into the jaw. “Finishing the check” is a late, dirty hit.
— Randy Sportak (@SUNRandySportak) February 27, 2013
Either way, it makes for a mesmerizing GIF, doesn’t it?
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 1
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55