Feb 26, 2013, 11:27 AM EST
The San Jose Sharks have been the NHL’s worst team this month. Which is strange, because they were the league’s best team last month.
So, what’s happened?
According to head coach Todd McLellan, the message is still getting through to the players.
“There’s always talk about whether you have ‘lost the room,’” McLellan said, per the Mercury News. “You hear people use that phrase about losing your players’ attention or about a team losing confidence, and I always wonder, where does that happen — do you lose it at the mall? I’ve been in hockey a while. I think you know when you’ve lost the room. I don’t think that’s happened.”
Here’s what Mercury News columnist Mark Purdy thinks is wrong:
The issue is secondary scoring. It has been absent in a significant way, really, since the beginning of last season after Wilson sent forwards Dany Heatley and Devin Setoguchi to Minnesota — and in return essentially received defenseman Brent Burns and winger Martin Havlat. Burns and Havlat haven’t been terrible. They have just been either frequently mediocre or frequently injured.
In fact, the Sharks have scored just 12 goals in their last 10 games. Obviously, that’s not good.
But with 283 shots taken during that stretch, it means opposition goalies have combined for a save percentage of .958, which not even Craig Anderson (.952) can match.
So there’s probably an element of bad luck, too.
The Sharks host Colorado tonight and Detroit Thursday.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:39 AM EST
He was injured on a hit by fellow Tampa Bay prospect Adam Erne.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:20 AM EST
He could be back in the lineup next week.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:12 AM EST
They’ve dug themselves a big hole early on.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:10 AM EST
That and all the links you need to start the day.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:15 AM EST
Perhaps up to $71 million for next season.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
Some kind of pace he’s on.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:54 AM EST
Dropped third straight on Tuesday.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:28 AM EST
Couple of beauties.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:04 AM EST
Taking positives, despite result.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:27 PM EST
Interesting comment to make.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:59 PM EST
Turned for the Flyers in second period, got worse from there.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:26 PM EST
Dec 11, 2013, 9:43 PM EST
That was fast.
Dec 11, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Dec 11, 2013, 9:07 PM EST
Not a big deal to him, though.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:43 PM EST
Rivalry Night starts with a bang.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:07 PM EST
“I’m sure it’s going to be up there. It’s going to be steep.”
Dec 11, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Tampa Bay-Washington game.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:28 PM EST
“I’m not too worried about someone coming after me.”
Dec 11, 2013, 6:48 PM EST
Physical defenseman was 10th overall pick in his draft class.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 5
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 71
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)