Feb 26, 2013, 2:55 PM EDT
Burns, 27, left Saturday’s 3-1 loss in Dallas just five minutes into the first period, and didn’t return.
It’s unclear what the injury is, or if it’s related to the lower-body issue that hampered Burns to start the year.
He’s only played in six of San Jose’s 17 games this season and looked out of sorts when in the lineup, failing to register a point while sporting a minus-5 rating.
Irwin, 25, has appeared in nine games for the Sharks this season, posting 1G-1A-2PTS while averaging 18:43 time on ice.
Yesterday, CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz reported that Burns would miss at least two games with the injury.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 59
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5