Feb 26, 2013, 2:55 PM EDT
Burns, 27, left Saturday’s 3-1 loss in Dallas just five minutes into the first period, and didn’t return.
It’s unclear what the injury is, or if it’s related to the lower-body issue that hampered Burns to start the year.
He’s only played in six of San Jose’s 17 games this season and looked out of sorts when in the lineup, failing to register a point while sporting a minus-5 rating.
Irwin, 25, has appeared in nine games for the Sharks this season, posting 1G-1A-2PTS while averaging 18:43 time on ice.
Yesterday, CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz reported that Burns would miss at least two games with the injury.
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 4
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 36
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6