Feb 26, 2013, 2:55 PM EDT
Burns, 27, left Saturday’s 3-1 loss in Dallas just five minutes into the first period, and didn’t return.
It’s unclear what the injury is, or if it’s related to the lower-body issue that hampered Burns to start the year.
He’s only played in six of San Jose’s 17 games this season and looked out of sorts when in the lineup, failing to register a point while sporting a minus-5 rating.
Irwin, 25, has appeared in nine games for the Sharks this season, posting 1G-1A-2PTS while averaging 18:43 time on ice.
Yesterday, CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz reported that Burns would miss at least two games with the injury.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 25
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)