Feb 26, 2013, 9:34 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning had to know they were rolling the injury dice by acquiring Sami Salo during the offseason. For 18 games, that gamble paid off, but the fragile defenseman got hurt during Tuesday’s match against the Buffalo Sabres.
Salo, 38, suffered a lower-body injury and won’t return, according to the team.
The hard-shooting blueliner’s ailment will probably draw plenty of “finally” and “who had Feb. 26 in their injury pool?” jokes, but it’s disappointing for Tampa Bay because he’s been such a good fit. Salo has eight points in those 18 games with an impressive +12 rating.
Salo’s $3.75 million cap hit expires after the 2013-14 campaign.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 117
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (117)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)