Feb 26, 2013, 2:35 PM EDT
And not only would the Wild score more goals, it would score a few in style.
Hasn’t turned out that way.
Heading into tonight’s home game against Calgary, Minnesota ranks 29th in goals per game (2.06) and is still, according to critics, playing boring dump-and-chase hockey.
Parise, however, doesn’t think there’s anything wrong with the Wild’s system. It’s the execution that’s been the problem.
“We would all love a game where you can skate it in, curl up and make a play every time,” he said, per the Star Tribune. “That’s not the way the game is played. When we do have the opportunity to skate it in, we all have the green light to do it, but not at the risk of having a D gap up in your face, trying to make a cute play at the blue line, turning it over and having them come right back down on us.”
Conceding the obvious fact that turnovers at the opposition blue line are a bad thing, so too is losing the overall possession battle.
Good teams — whether by carrying the puck in or by making smart dump-ins and getting after it — find a way to gain control in the attacking zone.
The Wild hasn’t found that way enough this season.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)