Feb 26, 2013, 1:13 AM EDT
Perhaps it’s because they were due.
After being shutout in back-to-back games against the Vancouver Canucks and Detroit Red Wings, the Nashville Predators erupted for five goals in a 5-4 overtime win over the visiting Dallas Stars Monday.
Did we mention the Predators came into the game with the worst goals-for per game average in the entire National Hockey League? With their scoring outburst against the Stars, Nashville suddenly shot up two spots into 28th – ahead of the Columbus Blue Jackets and Minnesota Wild. Next in the Predators’ sights is Edmonton.
“The last couple of games, he’s played with a lot of jump,” Predators head coach Barry Trotz told NHL.com of Josi.
“I think he’s finding himself as a player in this League. He’s very comfortable and he’s playing in all situations and he’s becoming a very important part of our team.”
Meanwhile, the Stars continue to hover around the Western Conference post-season cutoff line. They sit seventh in the conference, with seven teams separated by only three points behind them.
In an online chat Monday, Dallas Morning News columnist Tim Cowlishaw took questions about the Stars. He replied to one inquiry about a new coach perhaps turning the fortunes of the team by starting: “It may take a new coach…,” before giving just a little bit of leeway.
Worth pointing out that Stars head coach Glen Gulutzan is a sophomore in the NHL.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)