Feb 26, 2013, 1:13 AM EST
Perhaps it’s because they were due.
After being shutout in back-to-back games against the Vancouver Canucks and Detroit Red Wings, the Nashville Predators erupted for five goals in a 5-4 overtime win over the visiting Dallas Stars Monday.
Did we mention the Predators came into the game with the worst goals-for per game average in the entire National Hockey League? With their scoring outburst against the Stars, Nashville suddenly shot up two spots into 28th – ahead of the Columbus Blue Jackets and Minnesota Wild. Next in the Predators’ sights is Edmonton.
“The last couple of games, he’s played with a lot of jump,” Predators head coach Barry Trotz told NHL.com of Josi.
“I think he’s finding himself as a player in this League. He’s very comfortable and he’s playing in all situations and he’s becoming a very important part of our team.”
Meanwhile, the Stars continue to hover around the Western Conference post-season cutoff line. They sit seventh in the conference, with seven teams separated by only three points behind them.
In an online chat Monday, Dallas Morning News columnist Tim Cowlishaw took questions about the Stars. He replied to one inquiry about a new coach perhaps turning the fortunes of the team by starting: “It may take a new coach…,” before giving just a little bit of leeway.
Worth pointing out that Stars head coach Glen Gulutzan is a sophomore in the NHL.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 25
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)