Feb 26, 2013, 11:46 AM EDT
Some tough news for Blue Jackets fans on Tuesday as head coach Todd Richards told reporters defenseman James Wisniewski would be out “an extended period of time” with a broken foot.
Wisniewski, 29, broke his foot during Sunday’s 1-0 loss to Chicago.
Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reported the Jackets’ defenseman was noticeably limping following the game, and the Jackets proceeded to recall blueliner Cody Goloubef from AHL Springfield on Monday.
This injury is the latest setback for Wisniewski, who has suffered several since signing a monster six-year, $33 million deal in 2011.
He missed the first eight games of last season with a suspension, then proceeded to miss 26 more with a broken ankle, concussion and groin injury.
This season, he’s already missed two games with another concussion issue.
Losing Wisniewski will hurt an already-limping Jackets team immensely.
He currently sits in a tie for third in team scoring (3G-6A-9PTS) and averages over 23:32 a night — now, he joins a list of walking wounded that includes Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov and Jack Johnson.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 11
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (85)