Feb 26, 2013, 11:46 AM EDT
Some tough news for Blue Jackets fans on Tuesday as head coach Todd Richards told reporters defenseman James Wisniewski would be out “an extended period of time” with a broken foot.
Wisniewski, 29, broke his foot during Sunday’s 1-0 loss to Chicago.
Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reported the Jackets’ defenseman was noticeably limping following the game, and the Jackets proceeded to recall blueliner Cody Goloubef from AHL Springfield on Monday.
This injury is the latest setback for Wisniewski, who has suffered several since signing a monster six-year, $33 million deal in 2011.
He missed the first eight games of last season with a suspension, then proceeded to miss 26 more with a broken ankle, concussion and groin injury.
This season, he’s already missed two games with another concussion issue.
Losing Wisniewski will hurt an already-limping Jackets team immensely.
He currently sits in a tie for third in team scoring (3G-6A-9PTS) and averages over 23:32 a night — now, he joins a list of walking wounded that includes Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov and Jack Johnson.
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 1
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 100
- Howard won’t demand trade out of Detroit 19
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (101)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)