Feb 26, 2013, 11:46 AM EDT
Some tough news for Blue Jackets fans on Tuesday as head coach Todd Richards told reporters defenseman James Wisniewski would be out “an extended period of time” with a broken foot.
Wisniewski, 29, broke his foot during Sunday’s 1-0 loss to Chicago.
Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reported the Jackets’ defenseman was noticeably limping following the game, and the Jackets proceeded to recall blueliner Cody Goloubef from AHL Springfield on Monday.
This injury is the latest setback for Wisniewski, who has suffered several since signing a monster six-year, $33 million deal in 2011.
He missed the first eight games of last season with a suspension, then proceeded to miss 26 more with a broken ankle, concussion and groin injury.
This season, he’s already missed two games with another concussion issue.
Losing Wisniewski will hurt an already-limping Jackets team immensely.
He currently sits in a tie for third in team scoring (3G-6A-9PTS) and averages over 23:32 a night — now, he joins a list of walking wounded that includes Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov and Jack Johnson.
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 28
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 30
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 25