Feb 26, 2013, 11:46 AM EDT
Some tough news for Blue Jackets fans on Tuesday as head coach Todd Richards told reporters defenseman James Wisniewski would be out “an extended period of time” with a broken foot.
Wisniewski, 29, broke his foot during Sunday’s 1-0 loss to Chicago.
Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reported the Jackets’ defenseman was noticeably limping following the game, and the Jackets proceeded to recall blueliner Cody Goloubef from AHL Springfield on Monday.
This injury is the latest setback for Wisniewski, who has suffered several since signing a monster six-year, $33 million deal in 2011.
He missed the first eight games of last season with a suspension, then proceeded to miss 26 more with a broken ankle, concussion and groin injury.
This season, he’s already missed two games with another concussion issue.
Losing Wisniewski will hurt an already-limping Jackets team immensely.
He currently sits in a tie for third in team scoring (3G-6A-9PTS) and averages over 23:32 a night — now, he joins a list of walking wounded that includes Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov and Jack Johnson.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 8
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)