Feb 26, 2013, 11:46 AM EDT
Some tough news for Blue Jackets fans on Tuesday as head coach Todd Richards told reporters defenseman James Wisniewski would be out “an extended period of time” with a broken foot.
Wisniewski, 29, broke his foot during Sunday’s 1-0 loss to Chicago.
Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch reported the Jackets’ defenseman was noticeably limping following the game, and the Jackets proceeded to recall blueliner Cody Goloubef from AHL Springfield on Monday.
This injury is the latest setback for Wisniewski, who has suffered several since signing a monster six-year, $33 million deal in 2011.
He missed the first eight games of last season with a suspension, then proceeded to miss 26 more with a broken ankle, concussion and groin injury.
This season, he’s already missed two games with another concussion issue.
Losing Wisniewski will hurt an already-limping Jackets team immensely.
He currently sits in a tie for third in team scoring (3G-6A-9PTS) and averages over 23:32 a night — now, he joins a list of walking wounded that includes Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov and Jack Johnson.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)