Feb 26, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Update: Montreal also got a third-round pick in the deal, the Dallas Morning News’ Mike Heika reports.
Cole, 34, was a big free agent acquisition for the Habs during the 2011 offseason. He had a great debut in 2011-12 (35 goals, 61 points) but has just six points in 19 games this season. His contract is likely as big of a concern for Montreal; his $4.5 million cap hit expires after the 2014-15 season.
Ryder, 32, has been red-hot lately for the Stars. The hot-and-cold winger has nine points in a six-game points streak and 14 in 19 games overall. His $3.5 million cap hit expires after this season.
There should be a reasonable amount of familiarity for both players.
The most obvious is Ryder’s case. The Habs drafted him in the eighth round in 1998, watching him play for four seasons in Montreal before he departed for Boston.
Cole doesn’t have that same experience, but at least he’ll be reunited with former Carolina Hurricanes teammate Ray Whitney (who’s recovering from an injury).
- Here’s latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 0
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 61
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)