Feb 26, 2013, 2:33 PM EDT
It’ll be a bittersweet moment for Jay Bouwmeester tonight when his Flames take on the Wild in Minnesota.
Sweet, because it’ll be the 735th game of his career, an impressive total for a 29-year-old that also happens to be the NHL’s reigning iron man.
But also bitter, as he’s set to break a pretty infamous record.
Bouwmeester’s 735th game will eclipse the mark of most games played without a postseason appearance, formerly held by Guy Charron, who played his entire career — 734 games, from 1969-81 — without making the playoffs.
The mark was once held by Bouwmeester’s ex-Panthers and Flames teammate Olli Jokinen, who played 799 regular-season games before making the playoffs in 2009 with Calgary.
That was, of course, the year before the Flames acquired Bouwmeester.
Since then, it’s been straight futility.
Calgary and Jay-Bo have been close to the postseason since, securing at least 90 points in each of the last three seasons.
Though it’s early, this year is shaping up to be more of the same.
Calgary again finds itself right in the thick of the playoff picture — just three points back of eighth place — but has revealed some critical flaws that could once again keep it out of the postseason.
The Flames allowed the most goals in the Western Conference thus far (59) and have only won three of nine at the Saddledome.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 25
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)