Feb 26, 2013, 2:33 PM EDT
It’ll be a bittersweet moment for Jay Bouwmeester tonight when his Flames take on the Wild in Minnesota.
Sweet, because it’ll be the 735th game of his career, an impressive total for a 29-year-old that also happens to be the NHL’s reigning iron man.
But also bitter, as he’s set to break a pretty infamous record.
Bouwmeester’s 735th game will eclipse the mark of most games played without a postseason appearance, formerly held by Guy Charron, who played his entire career — 734 games, from 1969-81 — without making the playoffs.
The mark was once held by Bouwmeester’s ex-Panthers and Flames teammate Olli Jokinen, who played 799 regular-season games before making the playoffs in 2009 with Calgary.
That was, of course, the year before the Flames acquired Bouwmeester.
Since then, it’s been straight futility.
Calgary and Jay-Bo have been close to the postseason since, securing at least 90 points in each of the last three seasons.
Though it’s early, this year is shaping up to be more of the same.
Calgary again finds itself right in the thick of the playoff picture — just three points back of eighth place — but has revealed some critical flaws that could once again keep it out of the postseason.
The Flames allowed the most goals in the Western Conference thus far (59) and have only won three of nine at the Saddledome.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)