Feb 26, 2013, 2:33 PM EDT
It’ll be a bittersweet moment for Jay Bouwmeester tonight when his Flames take on the Wild in Minnesota.
Sweet, because it’ll be the 735th game of his career, an impressive total for a 29-year-old that also happens to be the NHL’s reigning iron man.
But also bitter, as he’s set to break a pretty infamous record.
Bouwmeester’s 735th game will eclipse the mark of most games played without a postseason appearance, formerly held by Guy Charron, who played his entire career — 734 games, from 1969-81 — without making the playoffs.
The mark was once held by Bouwmeester’s ex-Panthers and Flames teammate Olli Jokinen, who played 799 regular-season games before making the playoffs in 2009 with Calgary.
That was, of course, the year before the Flames acquired Bouwmeester.
Since then, it’s been straight futility.
Calgary and Jay-Bo have been close to the postseason since, securing at least 90 points in each of the last three seasons.
Though it’s early, this year is shaping up to be more of the same.
Calgary again finds itself right in the thick of the playoff picture — just three points back of eighth place — but has revealed some critical flaws that could once again keep it out of the postseason.
The Flames allowed the most goals in the Western Conference thus far (59) and have only won three of nine at the Saddledome.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)