Feb 26, 2013, 2:33 PM EST
It’ll be a bittersweet moment for Jay Bouwmeester tonight when his Flames take on the Wild in Minnesota.
Sweet, because it’ll be the 735th game of his career, an impressive total for a 29-year-old that also happens to be the NHL’s reigning iron man.
But also bitter, as he’s set to break a pretty infamous record.
Bouwmeester’s 735th game will eclipse the mark of most games played without a postseason appearance, formerly held by Guy Charron, who played his entire career — 734 games, from 1969-81 — without making the playoffs.
The mark was once held by Bouwmeester’s ex-Panthers and Flames teammate Olli Jokinen, who played 799 regular-season games before making the playoffs in 2009 with Calgary.
That was, of course, the year before the Flames acquired Bouwmeester.
Since then, it’s been straight futility.
Calgary and Jay-Bo have been close to the postseason since, securing at least 90 points in each of the last three seasons.
Though it’s early, this year is shaping up to be more of the same.
Calgary again finds itself right in the thick of the playoff picture — just three points back of eighth place — but has revealed some critical flaws that could once again keep it out of the postseason.
The Flames allowed the most goals in the Western Conference thus far (59) and have only won three of nine at the Saddledome.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)