Feb 26, 2013, 2:33 PM EDT
It’ll be a bittersweet moment for Jay Bouwmeester tonight when his Flames take on the Wild in Minnesota.
Sweet, because it’ll be the 735th game of his career, an impressive total for a 29-year-old that also happens to be the NHL’s reigning iron man.
But also bitter, as he’s set to break a pretty infamous record.
Bouwmeester’s 735th game will eclipse the mark of most games played without a postseason appearance, formerly held by Guy Charron, who played his entire career — 734 games, from 1969-81 — without making the playoffs.
The mark was once held by Bouwmeester’s ex-Panthers and Flames teammate Olli Jokinen, who played 799 regular-season games before making the playoffs in 2009 with Calgary.
That was, of course, the year before the Flames acquired Bouwmeester.
Since then, it’s been straight futility.
Calgary and Jay-Bo have been close to the postseason since, securing at least 90 points in each of the last three seasons.
Though it’s early, this year is shaping up to be more of the same.
Calgary again finds itself right in the thick of the playoff picture — just three points back of eighth place — but has revealed some critical flaws that could once again keep it out of the postseason.
The Flames allowed the most goals in the Western Conference thus far (59) and have only won three of nine at the Saddledome.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)