Feb 26, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
Both are scheduled to be UFAs at season’s end. The pair signed matching five-year, $26.25 million deals in 2008 and, with both turning 28 in May, could be the stars of free agency — should things get that far.
Here’s more, from LeBrun:
It’s going to be awfully interesting to see how the Ducks play it as April 3 approaches if those two stars still haven’t re-signed. Just my own gut feeling: I think a Getzlaf extension will get done, but I’m not sure about Perry at this point.
On the one hand, you figure there’s no way you can afford to trade Perry, given that the Ducks are challenging for first overall in the NHL standings.
On the other hand, every GM in the league watched as Nashville kept Ryan Suter past the trade deadline last season, as did New Jersey with Zach Parise. Then the GM saw both players walk out the door July 1, getting nothing in return.
LeBrun belives there’s “a real chance” the Ducks could consider moving Perry if he’s not re-signed by Apr. 3, thanks in large part to how the Suter and Parise scenarios played out.
Going back even further, one could look at the middling returns Florida got for Jay Bouwmeester in 2009 as a cautionary tale.
The Panthers didn’t move him prior to the trade deadline, then shipped his negotiating rights to Calgary for a third-round pick and the negotiating rights to Jordan Leopold.
Of course, that Panthers team failed to make the playoffs — unlike the Predators and Devils of last season. Dealing away someone of Perry’s magnitude is awfully difficult when the postseason is in view.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Charles Wang remains in charge until then.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
Worth a reported $16 million.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
Not clear yet if charges will be filed.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
More tough luck.
Oct 22, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Just gotta work on the stuff in front of him now.
Oct 22, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
Oct 22, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
News and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 22, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
He’ll be in for the Kings when they host Buffalo tomorrow.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
Having already sat out last night’s win over Philly.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
No word yet on a makeup date.
Oct 22, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Anders Lee on his way up?
Oct 22, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
He’ll join Norfolk on a PTO.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Senators still scheduled to host the Maple Leafs tonight.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Flyers-Blackhawks game.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
“I think if the authorities act properly and do a complete investigation, they will have to find that charges are not warranted.”
Oct 22, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
With second division outfit EV Landshut.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
It would have been an incredible goal.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
Canucks coach Willie Desjardins fought against the idea that Dallas got lucky last night.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
Maybe this is what Philadelphia needs.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:56 AM EDT
Yes, there was a goaltender in net.
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 0
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 15
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 21
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 14
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (54)