Feb 26, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
Both are scheduled to be UFAs at season’s end. The pair signed matching five-year, $26.25 million deals in 2008 and, with both turning 28 in May, could be the stars of free agency — should things get that far.
Here’s more, from LeBrun:
It’s going to be awfully interesting to see how the Ducks play it as April 3 approaches if those two stars still haven’t re-signed. Just my own gut feeling: I think a Getzlaf extension will get done, but I’m not sure about Perry at this point.
On the one hand, you figure there’s no way you can afford to trade Perry, given that the Ducks are challenging for first overall in the NHL standings.
On the other hand, every GM in the league watched as Nashville kept Ryan Suter past the trade deadline last season, as did New Jersey with Zach Parise. Then the GM saw both players walk out the door July 1, getting nothing in return.
LeBrun belives there’s “a real chance” the Ducks could consider moving Perry if he’s not re-signed by Apr. 3, thanks in large part to how the Suter and Parise scenarios played out.
Going back even further, one could look at the middling returns Florida got for Jay Bouwmeester in 2009 as a cautionary tale.
The Panthers didn’t move him prior to the trade deadline, then shipped his negotiating rights to Calgary for a third-round pick and the negotiating rights to Jordan Leopold.
Of course, that Panthers team failed to make the playoffs — unlike the Predators and Devils of last season. Dealing away someone of Perry’s magnitude is awfully difficult when the postseason is in view.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
The crash happened on Monday, according to reports.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Will their latest physics improvements make a big difference?
Jul 23, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
Can they make a compromise by Friday?
Jul 23, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
“We’ll see what happens. It’s a couple years away.”
Jul 23, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Jim Benning, making deals.
Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
“Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”
Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
His previously “yet-to-be-determined capacity” has been determined.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
“My style and build might be better against the bigger guys.”
Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Won a couple of Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT
Had seven goals with 21 assists last year for the Avs.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
The 23-year-old can now become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Derick Brassard and John Moore to go.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Trotz continues Adam Oates’ alteration, at least for now.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s delectable spread of links.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
He spent last season playing in Switzerland.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
The Cuban-American could help market the sport.
Jul 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
Turning over a new leaf?
Jul 22, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
That’s $1 million less than his reported asking price.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
It’s believed to be worth $2.55 million overall.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 0
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 20
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 30
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)