Feb 26, 2013, 2:26 AM EDT
It has been almost 12 months since the Chicago Blackhawks have lost a regular season game in regulation.
The date was March 25, 2012. The Nashville Predators had their way in a 6-1 win. The Blackhawks’ next six games after that were either wins, or losses decided in the shootout.
Here we are, Feb. 26, 2013, and the Blackhawks have started the season 16-0-3. They haven’t lost in regulation in their last 25 regular season games. Many factors have contributed. The lockout wiped out more than three months of the 2013 season, helping stretch this impressive streak over time.
Mainly, it’s been the Blackhawks themselves. On Monday, down a goal going into the third period, the Blackhawks sent the game to overtime when Viktor Stalberg scored early in the period. Marian Hossa won it in OT, sending the hometown fans into a frenzy.
“Without sounding arrogant, it’s kind of just business as usual,” Blackhawks forward Patrick Sharp told the Chicago Tribune.
“We have an attitude in here that we can win every night. We’re healthy right now, we’re a confident group and we want to keep getting better.”
The streak the Blackhawks are on ranks third in NHL history. They are three back of the Montreal Canadiens from 1977-78, and 10 behind the all-time longest undefeated streak belonging to the Philadelphia Flyers of 1979-80, according to the Associated Press.
May 22, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
We really need to get these combos better nicknames, though.
May 22, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
The Rangers need The King to play like one tonight.
May 22, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
He also reiterates that the salary cap will be about $71M.
May 22, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Almost always a good way to go.
May 22, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT
May 22, 2015, 1:30 AM EDT
Ducks trying to make life miserable for Chicago’s goalie.
May 22, 2015, 1:00 AM EDT
Game 4 goes Saturday in Chicago.
May 22, 2015, 12:12 AM EDT
So, what will the coach do for Game 4?
May 21, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Chicago’s power play came up empty.
May 21, 2015, 10:36 PM EDT
Talk about timing.
May 21, 2015, 10:26 PM EDT
Quite a sequence.
May 21, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
‘Showtime’ strikes late in the period.
May 21, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
Coach Q, shaking it up.
May 21, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Pittsburgh GM won’t stand in the way.
May 21, 2015, 6:58 PM EDT
Hit knocked the veteran d-man out of Game 3.
May 21, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT
“To have a guy of his ilk, considered one of the best coaches in the National Hockey League, taking a real good hard look at us in Buffalo after a 30th-place finish — I thought the process was great.”
May 21, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT
Two-way contract for Karpat’s playoff scoring sensation.
May 21, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
A wide range of topics.
May 21, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
“It’s something that we’re working on everyday. We’re trying to do it behind closed doors and away from public scrutiny.”
May 21, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT
“Word choice matters, even when attempting to be humorous.”
- All eyes on Lundqvist 1
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 26
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)