Feb 26, 2013, 2:26 AM EDT
It has been almost 12 months since the Chicago Blackhawks have lost a regular season game in regulation.
The date was March 25, 2012. The Nashville Predators had their way in a 6-1 win. The Blackhawks’ next six games after that were either wins, or losses decided in the shootout.
Here we are, Feb. 26, 2013, and the Blackhawks have started the season 16-0-3. They haven’t lost in regulation in their last 25 regular season games. Many factors have contributed. The lockout wiped out more than three months of the 2013 season, helping stretch this impressive streak over time.
Mainly, it’s been the Blackhawks themselves. On Monday, down a goal going into the third period, the Blackhawks sent the game to overtime when Viktor Stalberg scored early in the period. Marian Hossa won it in OT, sending the hometown fans into a frenzy.
“Without sounding arrogant, it’s kind of just business as usual,” Blackhawks forward Patrick Sharp told the Chicago Tribune.
“We have an attitude in here that we can win every night. We’re healthy right now, we’re a confident group and we want to keep getting better.”
The streak the Blackhawks are on ranks third in NHL history. They are three back of the Montreal Canadiens from 1977-78, and 10 behind the all-time longest undefeated streak belonging to the Philadelphia Flyers of 1979-80, according to the Associated Press.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
San Jose hosts Buffalo in a Saturday matinee
Oct 25, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Stars overcome controversial goal call for win in New Jersey.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
“I can see, thank God, I can see,” he reportedly said.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
She reportedly hasn’t spoken to police since being released from the hospital.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
It was the game-winner, too.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
Semyon Varlamov’s first win of 2014-15 and Colorado’s first home victory.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Actually, Taylor Hall probably deserves the most credit for Edmonton’s highlight goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:12 PM EDT
Somehow the latter fight didn’t leave a crater in the ice.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars get the extra point.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
Injuries continue to … strike Tampa Bay.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Update: Vladislav Namestnikov was credited with the last goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
On the bright side, Michael Grabner may resume skating soon.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT
Unfortunately, Tampa Bay might face another injury in J.T. Brown.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
They send their 2014 first-rounder to the OHL.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
San Jose’s enjoyed such center depth before.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
Tough times lately for St. Louis.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Highly-touted rearguard on his way to the bigs.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Hey, maybe the NHL should try 3-on-3 overtime.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Speaking from experience.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
Returns to the Cardiff team he played for during the lockout.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 20
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)