Feb 26, 2013, 2:26 AM EST
It has been almost 12 months since the Chicago Blackhawks have lost a regular season game in regulation.
The date was March 25, 2012. The Nashville Predators had their way in a 6-1 win. The Blackhawks’ next six games after that were either wins, or losses decided in the shootout.
Here we are, Feb. 26, 2013, and the Blackhawks have started the season 16-0-3. They haven’t lost in regulation in their last 25 regular season games. Many factors have contributed. The lockout wiped out more than three months of the 2013 season, helping stretch this impressive streak over time.
Mainly, it’s been the Blackhawks themselves. On Monday, down a goal going into the third period, the Blackhawks sent the game to overtime when Viktor Stalberg scored early in the period. Marian Hossa won it in OT, sending the hometown fans into a frenzy.
“Without sounding arrogant, it’s kind of just business as usual,” Blackhawks forward Patrick Sharp told the Chicago Tribune.
“We have an attitude in here that we can win every night. We’re healthy right now, we’re a confident group and we want to keep getting better.”
The streak the Blackhawks are on ranks third in NHL history. They are three back of the Montreal Canadiens from 1977-78, and 10 behind the all-time longest undefeated streak belonging to the Philadelphia Flyers of 1979-80, according to the Associated Press.
Mar 7, 2014, 7:22 PM EST
He’s one of the top scorers for AHL Utica.
Mar 7, 2014, 6:35 PM EST
And the Stanley Cup, obviously.
Mar 7, 2014, 5:48 PM EST
He was New York’s leading scorer at the time of injury.
Mar 7, 2014, 4:51 PM EST
Click for the video of the NHL’s explanation.
Mar 7, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Plus five NHL games to watch this weekend.
Mar 7, 2014, 2:49 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Mar 7, 2014, 2:35 PM EST
Failed to “turn on the charm,” apparently.
Mar 7, 2014, 1:24 PM EST
More praise for them on Thursday after previously calling them the best team in the NHL.
Mar 7, 2014, 12:58 PM EST
“I thought he was real good.”
Mar 7, 2014, 12:50 PM EST
Hosting the Isles at the Saddledome.
Mar 7, 2014, 12:07 PM EST
Click to see which teams could be most impacted.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:47 AM EST
In related news, Philly leads the NHL in penalty minutes.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:33 AM EST
But Jeff Vinik couldn’t sway him.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
It’s not looking good in DC.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:17 AM EST
Matt Moulson set to make his Minnesota debut.
Mar 7, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
It’s been a rough few days for Mike Gillis.
Mar 7, 2014, 9:07 AM EST
The Capitals have waited a long time for him.
Mar 7, 2014, 8:15 AM EST
That and the rest of the links to start your day.
Mar 7, 2014, 1:34 AM EST
Ugly start for Vancouver vs. Dallas.
Mar 7, 2014, 1:23 AM EST
Worth staying up late for East Coast hockey fans.
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 11
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 26
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 8
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)