Feb 26, 2013, 2:26 AM EST
It has been almost 12 months since the Chicago Blackhawks have lost a regular season game in regulation.
The date was March 25, 2012. The Nashville Predators had their way in a 6-1 win. The Blackhawks’ next six games after that were either wins, or losses decided in the shootout.
Here we are, Feb. 26, 2013, and the Blackhawks have started the season 16-0-3. They haven’t lost in regulation in their last 25 regular season games. Many factors have contributed. The lockout wiped out more than three months of the 2013 season, helping stretch this impressive streak over time.
Mainly, it’s been the Blackhawks themselves. On Monday, down a goal going into the third period, the Blackhawks sent the game to overtime when Viktor Stalberg scored early in the period. Marian Hossa won it in OT, sending the hometown fans into a frenzy.
“Without sounding arrogant, it’s kind of just business as usual,” Blackhawks forward Patrick Sharp told the Chicago Tribune.
“We have an attitude in here that we can win every night. We’re healthy right now, we’re a confident group and we want to keep getting better.”
The streak the Blackhawks are on ranks third in NHL history. They are three back of the Montreal Canadiens from 1977-78, and 10 behind the all-time longest undefeated streak belonging to the Philadelphia Flyers of 1979-80, according to the Associated Press.
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 0
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)