Feb 26, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
Tonight’s Washington-Carolina tilt should have plenty of emotion.
That’s because a day after Caps forward Troy Brouwer ripped Alex Semin — his former Washington teammate, now with Carolina — the ‘Canes jumped to Semin’s defense on Tuesday, slamming Brouwer in the process.
“You never like to see anyone say things like that,” captain Eric Staal told the Raleigh News and Observer. “Troy Brouwer seems to say that about a few guys that he’s played with. He’s entitled to his opinions and we’re entitled to ours.
“We have nothing to say but good things about Alex — he’s been great for our team.”
Here’s more from defenseman Joe Corvo, who played with Semin in both Washington and Carolina:
He, too, was miffed to hear of Brouwer’s remarks.
“I would assume (Semin) would get mad and want to prove otherwise,” Corvo said. “Betrayed, probably? I’d feel betrayed if one of my former teammates said something like that about me. You’re supposed to be a family when you’re playing together.
“If you’ve got a problem with someone, say it. Don’t say it later.”
Carolina forward Tim Brent also jumped to Semin’s defense, via Twitter.
Just read Troy Brouwer’s comments about Semin. I can say on behalf of his teammates that we love having him here, and he has been (cont)
a big part of our success so far with his consistent play and work ethic. NOT only his scoring ability. I hope he sticks it to them #canes
Semin, it should be noted, turned down all interview requests heading into tonight’s game.
The ‘Canes and Caps will get things underway at 7 p.m. ET tonight, from the Verizon Center.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 14
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 18
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)