Feb 26, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
Tonight’s Washington-Carolina tilt should have plenty of emotion.
That’s because a day after Caps forward Troy Brouwer ripped Alex Semin — his former Washington teammate, now with Carolina — the ‘Canes jumped to Semin’s defense on Tuesday, slamming Brouwer in the process.
“You never like to see anyone say things like that,” captain Eric Staal told the Raleigh News and Observer. “Troy Brouwer seems to say that about a few guys that he’s played with. He’s entitled to his opinions and we’re entitled to ours.
“We have nothing to say but good things about Alex — he’s been great for our team.”
Here’s more from defenseman Joe Corvo, who played with Semin in both Washington and Carolina:
He, too, was miffed to hear of Brouwer’s remarks.
“I would assume (Semin) would get mad and want to prove otherwise,” Corvo said. “Betrayed, probably? I’d feel betrayed if one of my former teammates said something like that about me. You’re supposed to be a family when you’re playing together.
“If you’ve got a problem with someone, say it. Don’t say it later.”
Carolina forward Tim Brent also jumped to Semin’s defense, via Twitter.
Just read Troy Brouwer’s comments about Semin. I can say on behalf of his teammates that we love having him here, and he has been (cont)
a big part of our success so far with his consistent play and work ethic. NOT only his scoring ability. I hope he sticks it to them #canes
Semin, it should be noted, turned down all interview requests heading into tonight’s game.
The ‘Canes and Caps will get things underway at 7 p.m. ET tonight, from the Verizon Center.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)