Feb 26, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
Tonight’s Washington-Carolina tilt should have plenty of emotion.
That’s because a day after Caps forward Troy Brouwer ripped Alex Semin — his former Washington teammate, now with Carolina — the ‘Canes jumped to Semin’s defense on Tuesday, slamming Brouwer in the process.
“You never like to see anyone say things like that,” captain Eric Staal told the Raleigh News and Observer. “Troy Brouwer seems to say that about a few guys that he’s played with. He’s entitled to his opinions and we’re entitled to ours.
“We have nothing to say but good things about Alex — he’s been great for our team.”
Here’s more from defenseman Joe Corvo, who played with Semin in both Washington and Carolina:
He, too, was miffed to hear of Brouwer’s remarks.
“I would assume (Semin) would get mad and want to prove otherwise,” Corvo said. “Betrayed, probably? I’d feel betrayed if one of my former teammates said something like that about me. You’re supposed to be a family when you’re playing together.
“If you’ve got a problem with someone, say it. Don’t say it later.”
Carolina forward Tim Brent also jumped to Semin’s defense, via Twitter.
Just read Troy Brouwer’s comments about Semin. I can say on behalf of his teammates that we love having him here, and he has been (cont)
a big part of our success so far with his consistent play and work ethic. NOT only his scoring ability. I hope he sticks it to them #canes
Semin, it should be noted, turned down all interview requests heading into tonight’s game.
The ‘Canes and Caps will get things underway at 7 p.m. ET tonight, from the Verizon Center.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 40
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 32
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22