Feb 25, 2013, 11:02 AM EST
At least one NHL general manager is coming around to the idea of a coach’s challenge to overturn refereeing mistakes – an idea that was first proposed, and quickly rejected, in 2010 by Florida GM Dale Tallon.
“I’m more open than I was when Dale Tallon brought it up,” Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland told the Globe and Mail Sunday. “The big thing in our game is goals, so we have to try to make sure goals are right, that we’re not scoring goals on offsides or maybe goalie interference.”
Expect the topic to be broached March 21 in Toronto when the general managers get together for their annual meetings.
Last week’s controversial goal in the Nashville-Colorado game that started with Avalanche forward Matt Duchene getting a breakaway in a clear offside position is as good a reason as any to institute a coach’s challenge.
But what if there’s an uncalled hooking penalty at the other end of the ice 30 seconds before a goal? Is that reviewable?
As Maple Leafs vice-president of hockey operations Dave Poulin notes, “the question will be where you draw the line and what to include.”
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 2
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 7
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 50
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 74
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)