Feb 25, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
At least one NHL general manager is coming around to the idea of a coach’s challenge to overturn refereeing mistakes – an idea that was first proposed, and quickly rejected, in 2010 by Florida GM Dale Tallon.
“I’m more open than I was when Dale Tallon brought it up,” Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland told the Globe and Mail Sunday. “The big thing in our game is goals, so we have to try to make sure goals are right, that we’re not scoring goals on offsides or maybe goalie interference.”
Expect the topic to be broached March 21 in Toronto when the general managers get together for their annual meetings.
Last week’s controversial goal in the Nashville-Colorado game that started with Avalanche forward Matt Duchene getting a breakaway in a clear offside position is as good a reason as any to institute a coach’s challenge.
But what if there’s an uncalled hooking penalty at the other end of the ice 30 seconds before a goal? Is that reviewable?
As Maple Leafs vice-president of hockey operations Dave Poulin notes, “the question will be where you draw the line and what to include.”
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)