Feb 25, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
At least one NHL general manager is coming around to the idea of a coach’s challenge to overturn refereeing mistakes – an idea that was first proposed, and quickly rejected, in 2010 by Florida GM Dale Tallon.
“I’m more open than I was when Dale Tallon brought it up,” Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland told the Globe and Mail Sunday. “The big thing in our game is goals, so we have to try to make sure goals are right, that we’re not scoring goals on offsides or maybe goalie interference.”
Expect the topic to be broached March 21 in Toronto when the general managers get together for their annual meetings.
Last week’s controversial goal in the Nashville-Colorado game that started with Avalanche forward Matt Duchene getting a breakaway in a clear offside position is as good a reason as any to institute a coach’s challenge.
But what if there’s an uncalled hooking penalty at the other end of the ice 30 seconds before a goal? Is that reviewable?
As Maple Leafs vice-president of hockey operations Dave Poulin notes, “the question will be where you draw the line and what to include.”
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 9
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 28
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 0
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 26
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Live Extra: Watch Blackhawks-Red Wings Game 3
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins