Feb 25, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
At least one NHL general manager is coming around to the idea of a coach’s challenge to overturn refereeing mistakes – an idea that was first proposed, and quickly rejected, in 2010 by Florida GM Dale Tallon.
“I’m more open than I was when Dale Tallon brought it up,” Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland told the Globe and Mail Sunday. “The big thing in our game is goals, so we have to try to make sure goals are right, that we’re not scoring goals on offsides or maybe goalie interference.”
Expect the topic to be broached March 21 in Toronto when the general managers get together for their annual meetings.
Last week’s controversial goal in the Nashville-Colorado game that started with Avalanche forward Matt Duchene getting a breakaway in a clear offside position is as good a reason as any to institute a coach’s challenge.
But what if there’s an uncalled hooking penalty at the other end of the ice 30 seconds before a goal? Is that reviewable?
As Maple Leafs vice-president of hockey operations Dave Poulin notes, “the question will be where you draw the line and what to include.”
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 0
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 6
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 27
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)