Feb 25, 2013, 12:12 PM EST
Philadelphia forward Jakub Voracek has been named the NHL’s first star of the week after piling up 11 points in four games – a stretch that included his first career hat trick Wednesday against the Penguins.
Voracek, 23, leads the Flyers with 22 points and has led a much-needed offensive turnaround for his team.
“Skating is a key to his success,” Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette said of Voracek, per CSNPhilly.com. “He’s a talented guy. When he uses his speed and quickness, he is able to generate a lot of offense. Since he’s been here, he’s gotten the opportunity to move the puck around with some decent players.
“And get on a first power-play unit and handle the puck a lot in situations where he deserves to be. There is an experience and process where you mature through time in the National Hockey League.
“He was young when he first got here. … You grow and develop and continue to gain insight into the league with experience to develop your skills. That’s where he has gone.”
Voracek – the seventh overall pick in the 2007 draft – was traded from Columbus to Philadelphia, along with a first- and third-round selection, in the summer of 2011 for Jeff Carter.
Stamkos had one goal in each of the Lightning’s four games last week and has vaulted to the top of the NHL’s scoring race, with 29 points in 18 games.
Bishop, meanwhile, went 3-0-0 with a 2.03 goals-against average and .931 save percentage while making Sens fans feel a tiny bit better about their team’s string of injuries.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)