Feb 25, 2013, 12:12 PM EDT
Philadelphia forward Jakub Voracek has been named the NHL’s first star of the week after piling up 11 points in four games – a stretch that included his first career hat trick Wednesday against the Penguins.
Voracek, 23, leads the Flyers with 22 points and has led a much-needed offensive turnaround for his team.
“Skating is a key to his success,” Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette said of Voracek, per CSNPhilly.com. “He’s a talented guy. When he uses his speed and quickness, he is able to generate a lot of offense. Since he’s been here, he’s gotten the opportunity to move the puck around with some decent players.
“And get on a first power-play unit and handle the puck a lot in situations where he deserves to be. There is an experience and process where you mature through time in the National Hockey League.
“He was young when he first got here. … You grow and develop and continue to gain insight into the league with experience to develop your skills. That’s where he has gone.”
Voracek – the seventh overall pick in the 2007 draft – was traded from Columbus to Philadelphia, along with a first- and third-round selection, in the summer of 2011 for Jeff Carter.
Stamkos had one goal in each of the Lightning’s four games last week and has vaulted to the top of the NHL’s scoring race, with 29 points in 18 games.
Bishop, meanwhile, went 3-0-0 with a 2.03 goals-against average and .931 save percentage while making Sens fans feel a tiny bit better about their team’s string of injuries.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)