Feb 25, 2013, 12:12 PM EDT
Philadelphia forward Jakub Voracek has been named the NHL’s first star of the week after piling up 11 points in four games – a stretch that included his first career hat trick Wednesday against the Penguins.
Voracek, 23, leads the Flyers with 22 points and has led a much-needed offensive turnaround for his team.
“Skating is a key to his success,” Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette said of Voracek, per CSNPhilly.com. “He’s a talented guy. When he uses his speed and quickness, he is able to generate a lot of offense. Since he’s been here, he’s gotten the opportunity to move the puck around with some decent players.
“And get on a first power-play unit and handle the puck a lot in situations where he deserves to be. There is an experience and process where you mature through time in the National Hockey League.
“He was young when he first got here. … You grow and develop and continue to gain insight into the league with experience to develop your skills. That’s where he has gone.”
Voracek – the seventh overall pick in the 2007 draft – was traded from Columbus to Philadelphia, along with a first- and third-round selection, in the summer of 2011 for Jeff Carter.
Stamkos had one goal in each of the Lightning’s four games last week and has vaulted to the top of the NHL’s scoring race, with 29 points in 18 games.
Bishop, meanwhile, went 3-0-0 with a 2.03 goals-against average and .931 save percentage while making Sens fans feel a tiny bit better about their team’s string of injuries.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 20
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 61
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)