Feb 25, 2013, 3:09 PM EDT
Viktor Stalberg is trying to enjoy his time with the red-hot Chicago Blackhawks. As a pending unrestricted free agent, he knows there’s no guarantee he’ll be back next season.
“It’s hard not to think about sometimes, but you just have to play hard and show them your best side and see what happens,” Stalberg told the Chicago Tribune recently. “You can’t think about it too much. What matters is this year and what we’re doing with these guys. If this is my last year here, we want to go as far as possible and try to win it this year. That’s the focus.”
Stalberg, who happens to be one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, would draw considerable interest on the open market. The 27-year-old forward had 22 goals in 2011-12, his second season in Chicago, and has four goals in his first 18 games in 2013.
Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman admits that Stalberg “has played really well”; however, with the salary cap coming down to $64.3 million for 2013-14, the club will have limitations.
Suffice to say, Stalberg is in a position to demand more than the $875,000 he’s currently being paid, and he could also be offered a more prominent role on a team that isn’t quite so stacked with forward talent.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)