Feb 25, 2013, 3:09 PM EST
Viktor Stalberg is trying to enjoy his time with the red-hot Chicago Blackhawks. As a pending unrestricted free agent, he knows there’s no guarantee he’ll be back next season.
“It’s hard not to think about sometimes, but you just have to play hard and show them your best side and see what happens,” Stalberg told the Chicago Tribune recently. “You can’t think about it too much. What matters is this year and what we’re doing with these guys. If this is my last year here, we want to go as far as possible and try to win it this year. That’s the focus.”
Stalberg, who happens to be one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, would draw considerable interest on the open market. The 27-year-old forward had 22 goals in 2011-12, his second season in Chicago, and has four goals in his first 18 games in 2013.
Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman admits that Stalberg “has played really well”; however, with the salary cap coming down to $64.3 million for 2013-14, the club will have limitations.
Suffice to say, Stalberg is in a position to demand more than the $875,000 he’s currently being paid, and he could also be offered a more prominent role on a team that isn’t quite so stacked with forward talent.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)