Feb 25, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan has suspended San Jose Sharks forward Ryane Clowe two games for legally leaving the bench to engage in an altercation with Chicago’s Andrew Shaw on Friday night.
Here’s Shanahan’s video explanation:
“[Joe Pavelski] has been on the ice for a minute and eight seconds, and is skating towards the Sharks door,” Shanahan explained. “Signalling to Clowe the opportunity to make a legal line change under NHL standards.
“With that established, we asked the question: Does Clowe enter the ice on a legal line change for the purpose of starting an altercation? In our opinion, the answer is yes.”
So in short, Clowe going onto the ice was legit because…
1) Head coach Todd McLellan designated him as the next player on, and the video shows Clowe was looking to make a legal change before the hit occurred.
2) Pavelski had been out long enough and close enough to the door to to signify a change was about to occur.
Ergo, no 10-game suspension for leaving the bench to fight.
The suspension stems from Clowe making a beeline at Shaw, who wasn’t engaged physically with any other player, an action that constituted the “purpose of starting an altercation.”
Shanahan also noted Clowe has been fined twice over his eight-year NHL career, which could’ve played a part in the decision.
(That said, Shanahan also remarked that Clowe’s never been suspended before.)
Since Clowe has already served one game of his suspension — sitting out Saturday’s 3-1 loss in Dallas — he’ll only miss one more game, Tuesday at home against Colorado.
He’ll also forfeit $39,189.18 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
May 25, 2013, 7:07 PM EDT
He took a puck and maybe a stick to the kisser.
May 25, 2013, 6:37 PM EDT
Impressive flash of the glove by Hank.
May 25, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
New York Rangers forward was stirring the pot for a while.
May 25, 2013, 5:31 PM EDT
Looks like Dougie Hamilton is the odd man out.
May 25, 2013, 5:09 PM EDT
He’s been out with a broken hand.
May 25, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
He avoided a fight in Game 4.
May 25, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
Desperation calls for tinkering.
May 25, 2013, 1:41 PM EDT
This saga isn’t quite over yet.
May 25, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
Kids will learn how to hit later.
May 25, 2013, 11:42 AM EDT
This sounds a bit familiar.
May 25, 2013, 10:51 AM EDT
He was Philly’s coach for four years.
May 25, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
Chicago and New York look to live another day.
May 25, 2013, 9:18 AM EDT
His blue line experience was missed.
May 25, 2013, 2:08 AM EDT
One loss away from elimination.
May 25, 2013, 1:03 AM EDT
Future of the NHL.
May 25, 2013, 12:20 AM EDT
Now, that’s a toe-drag.
May 24, 2013, 11:56 PM EDT
Was Friday’s loss his last NHL games?
May 24, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
Pittsburgh wins in five games.
May 24, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
Bad blood, although this seemed unnecessary.
May 24, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT
Big developments coming out of the desert.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 67
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 32
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona