Feb 25, 2013, 6:31 PM EST
NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan has suspended San Jose Sharks forward Ryane Clowe two games for legally leaving the bench to engage in an altercation with Chicago’s Andrew Shaw on Friday night.
Here’s Shanahan’s video explanation:
“[Joe Pavelski] has been on the ice for a minute and eight seconds, and is skating towards the Sharks door,” Shanahan explained. “Signalling to Clowe the opportunity to make a legal line change under NHL standards.
“With that established, we asked the question: Does Clowe enter the ice on a legal line change for the purpose of starting an altercation? In our opinion, the answer is yes.”
So in short, Clowe going onto the ice was legit because…
1) Head coach Todd McLellan designated him as the next player on, and the video shows Clowe was looking to make a legal change before the hit occurred.
2) Pavelski had been out long enough and close enough to the door to to signify a change was about to occur.
Ergo, no 10-game suspension for leaving the bench to fight.
The suspension stems from Clowe making a beeline at Shaw, who wasn’t engaged physically with any other player, an action that constituted the “purpose of starting an altercation.”
Shanahan also noted Clowe has been fined twice over his eight-year NHL career, which could’ve played a part in the decision.
(That said, Shanahan also remarked that Clowe’s never been suspended before.)
Since Clowe has already served one game of his suspension — sitting out Saturday’s 3-1 loss in Dallas — he’ll only miss one more game, Tuesday at home against Colorado.
He’ll also forfeit $39,189.18 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:20 PM EST
Scores his seventh of the season.
Nov 26, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
Also touches on Martin St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay.
Nov 26, 2014, 9:08 PM EST
Appeared to hurt his left shoulder. Team calling it an upper body injury.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:42 PM EST
The Winnipeg forward was tossed from the game.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:35 PM EST
Has the game’s opening goal tonight.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:20 PM EST
Gets a double-minor on the play.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:10 PM EST
Spent 13 seasons in Tampa Bay.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Opened the scoring for Tampa Bay.
Nov 26, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Expected to join the Blues for practice on Friday.
Nov 26, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Replaced by Andre Benoit.
Nov 26, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Was hurt during Tuesday’s practice.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:31 PM EST
Two teams meet for the second time this season.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:12 PM EST
After an injury to Brian Elliott.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Yappy Lappy was at it again.
Nov 26, 2014, 4:06 PM EST
“Anybody can GM, anybody can be a president… whether you’re going to be good at it or not, who knows.”
Nov 26, 2014, 3:54 PM EST
San Jose coach is feeling the heat.
Nov 26, 2014, 3:20 PM EST
Click for video of the incident.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:57 PM EST
Minny dominated L.A. early in the season, but lost 2-1.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 26, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Originally out 4-6 weeks, he’s back in just over three.
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 1
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 15
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)