Feb 25, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan has suspended San Jose Sharks forward Ryane Clowe two games for legally leaving the bench to engage in an altercation with Chicago’s Andrew Shaw on Friday night.
Here’s Shanahan’s video explanation:
“[Joe Pavelski] has been on the ice for a minute and eight seconds, and is skating towards the Sharks door,” Shanahan explained. “Signalling to Clowe the opportunity to make a legal line change under NHL standards.
“With that established, we asked the question: Does Clowe enter the ice on a legal line change for the purpose of starting an altercation? In our opinion, the answer is yes.”
So in short, Clowe going onto the ice was legit because…
1) Head coach Todd McLellan designated him as the next player on, and the video shows Clowe was looking to make a legal change before the hit occurred.
2) Pavelski had been out long enough and close enough to the door to to signify a change was about to occur.
Ergo, no 10-game suspension for leaving the bench to fight.
The suspension stems from Clowe making a beeline at Shaw, who wasn’t engaged physically with any other player, an action that constituted the “purpose of starting an altercation.”
Shanahan also noted Clowe has been fined twice over his eight-year NHL career, which could’ve played a part in the decision.
(That said, Shanahan also remarked that Clowe’s never been suspended before.)
Since Clowe has already served one game of his suspension — sitting out Saturday’s 3-1 loss in Dallas — he’ll only miss one more game, Tuesday at home against Colorado.
He’ll also forfeit $39,189.18 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
Oct 24, 2014, 2:04 AM EDT
Scott Hartnell’s four assists included a wondrous “kick-pass.”
Oct 24, 2014, 1:35 AM EDT
His 33rd goose egg breaks a brief tie with Rogie Vachon.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:14 AM EDT
This one didn’t come against Colorado, either.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
They’ll also have a tribute to Nathan Cirillo.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:49 AM EDT
Chris Kelly calls him “irreplaceable.”
Oct 24, 2014, 12:07 AM EDT
Grim times for Carolina.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:33 PM EDT
The Bruins haven’t confirmed or denied the dire update.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Is “revenge” too strong of a word for it?
Oct 23, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
Pekka Rinne wasn’t too shabby, either.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg and Niklas Kronwall made it happen.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:33 PM EDT
Bad update for the Islanders.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:14 PM EDT
Was it the big hit he landed on John Tavares?
Oct 23, 2014, 7:43 PM EDT
Might be for the best.
Oct 23, 2014, 7:18 PM EDT
He’s hoping no one drops the gloves with Jordan tonight.
Oct 23, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT
Winnipeg’s offense could use the power forward.
Oct 23, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Colorado could really use a win.
Oct 23, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
“Mirco’s not going anywhere.”
Oct 23, 2014, 3:36 PM EDT
And it’s a pretty impressive projected top six.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:23 PM EDT
Washington’s looked pretty darn good under Barry Trotz.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
“I thought our team was really resilient,” said Dan Hamhuis.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)