Feb 25, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
The run of defenseman signings continued in Detroit on Monday, as the Red Wings gave Brian Lashoff a three-year contract extension.
Lashoff, 22, went undrafted out of the Ontario Hockey League but signed an entry-level free agent deal with the Wings in 2008, eventually becoming a fixture with AHL Grand Rapids.
He made his NHL debut with Detroit in January and has gone on to be a pleasant surprise, notching 1G-2A-3PTS in 15 games while playing close to 19 minutes a night.
“He’s not maybe a flashy guy but he’s getting the job done every night, making the right decision all the time.”
As mentioned earlier, Lashoff’s deal is just the latest in a string of blueline signings.
Earlier today, the Washington Capitals re-upped with John Erskine, Pittsburgh agreed to a one-year deal with veteran defenseman Mark Eaton and the Phoenix Coyotes inked an extension with impending RFA defenseman David Schlemko.
Update: Ansar Khan of MLive.com reports the deal is for $2.715 million (average annual cap hit of $725k) and is a one-way deal for all three years.
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 2
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 16
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 57
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 88
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (88)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games