Feb 25, 2013, 7:14 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Edmonton Oilers forward Taylor Hall, who is serving a two-game suspension for his hit on Minnesota’s Cal Clutterbuck, understands that the footage “was kind of damming.” At the same time, there are some areas that Hall and NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan don’t see eye-to-eye on. (Edmonton Sun)
New Jersey Devils forward Ilya Kovalchuk, who made the same shift from left to right wing that Washington’s Alex Ovechkin is now going through is confident that Ovechkin is going to make it work. Ovechkin is certainly making it easy to believe in him lately, given that he has six goals and 11 points in his last nine games. (Washington Times)
Coach Pete DeBoer refused to blame the New Jersey Devils loss to the Winnipeg Jets on Sunday on a controversial call late in the game. (The Bergen Record)
Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle put part of the blame for Saturday’s 3-2 loss to the Ottawa Senators on himself. He feels that he should have called a timeout just prior to a faceoff in the Leafs’ zone with 28 seconds remaining in regulation time. Ottawa’s Colin Greening scored the game-winner off of the faceoff. (Sportsnet)
The Dallas Stars summoned defensemen Jamie Oleksiak and Carl Sneep from the minors. (NHL.com)
Even with many of their top players injured, the Ottawa Senators are still finding ways to cobble together wins. (Ottawa Sun)
Chicago Blackhawks forward Viktor Stalberg admits that it’s hard not to think about the fact that he’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. At the same time, knowing that this might be his last year with the Blackhawks, he wants to make it count. (Chicago Tribune)
Teemu Selanne has a knack for reaching milestones against the Colorado Avalanche. He achieved his latest on Sunday when he scored his 250th power-play goal. Only two other players in NHL history – Brett Hull and Dave Andreychuk – have exceeded Selanne’s efforts in that category. (Ducks.nhl.com)
Sidney Crosby scored twice to help the Pittsburgh Penguins earn a 5-3 victory over the Tampa Bay Lightning on Sunday. If you missed the contest, you can view the highlights below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Mar 9, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
St. Louis has had Minnesota’s (and the league’s) number lately.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
Los Angeles took its seventh win in a row despite the incident.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Keeping pace with other West powers.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:03 PM EDT
Don’t worry, they won’t join the Washington Generals.
Mar 9, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Impressively, he returned to action in the second period.
Mar 9, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Mar 9, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Patrick Kane comes home.
Mar 9, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
Brian Elliott gets a rare start for St. Louis.
Mar 9, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
It might be due to an Ed Jovanovski hit.
Mar 9, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT
It doesn’t sound great for their would-be starter.
Mar 9, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT
Calgary releases a statement on the matter.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Mar 9, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
The appetite to make a change seems to be growing.
Mar 9, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
Detroit has lost its Wild Card spot.
Mar 9, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
The once promising rookie was put on waivers by Ottawa.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
He’s scored in every New Jersey game since the Olympics.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
That’s on top of all the talent they traded away.
Mar 9, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Can Johan Franzen maintain his incredible post-Olympics pace?
Mar 9, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
The 21-year-old is making the transition from the KHL.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
It helped lead St. Louis to its fourth straight win.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)