Feb 25, 2013, 7:14 AM EST
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Edmonton Oilers forward Taylor Hall, who is serving a two-game suspension for his hit on Minnesota’s Cal Clutterbuck, understands that the footage “was kind of damming.” At the same time, there are some areas that Hall and NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan don’t see eye-to-eye on. (Edmonton Sun)
New Jersey Devils forward Ilya Kovalchuk, who made the same shift from left to right wing that Washington’s Alex Ovechkin is now going through is confident that Ovechkin is going to make it work. Ovechkin is certainly making it easy to believe in him lately, given that he has six goals and 11 points in his last nine games. (Washington Times)
Coach Pete DeBoer refused to blame the New Jersey Devils loss to the Winnipeg Jets on Sunday on a controversial call late in the game. (The Bergen Record)
Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle put part of the blame for Saturday’s 3-2 loss to the Ottawa Senators on himself. He feels that he should have called a timeout just prior to a faceoff in the Leafs’ zone with 28 seconds remaining in regulation time. Ottawa’s Colin Greening scored the game-winner off of the faceoff. (Sportsnet)
The Dallas Stars summoned defensemen Jamie Oleksiak and Carl Sneep from the minors. (NHL.com)
Even with many of their top players injured, the Ottawa Senators are still finding ways to cobble together wins. (Ottawa Sun)
Chicago Blackhawks forward Viktor Stalberg admits that it’s hard not to think about the fact that he’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. At the same time, knowing that this might be his last year with the Blackhawks, he wants to make it count. (Chicago Tribune)
Teemu Selanne has a knack for reaching milestones against the Colorado Avalanche. He achieved his latest on Sunday when he scored his 250th power-play goal. Only two other players in NHL history – Brett Hull and Dave Andreychuk – have exceeded Selanne’s efforts in that category. (Ducks.nhl.com)
Sidney Crosby scored twice to help the Pittsburgh Penguins earn a 5-3 victory over the Tampa Bay Lightning on Sunday. If you missed the contest, you can view the highlights below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Dec 9, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Red Wings actually fared well in his absence.
Dec 9, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
Jon Cooper knows it could be a lot worse.
Dec 9, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
“We’re pretty frustrated,” said Ryan McDonagh.
Dec 9, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
Anaheim’s coming off two impressive wins over the ‘Hawks and Blues.
Dec 9, 2013, 3:17 PM EST
Tough times in the Chicago goal.
Dec 9, 2013, 2:45 PM EST
All the latest from the blue paint…
Dec 9, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
They’re in Anaheim to play the Ducks tonight.
Dec 9, 2013, 2:08 PM EST
Sounds like it could be.
Dec 9, 2013, 1:40 PM EST
And the players and coach seem to agree with the chart.
Dec 9, 2013, 1:37 PM EST
He’s been up, he’s been down.
Dec 9, 2013, 1:16 PM EST
The first punishment handed down from Saturday’s ugly Pittsburgh-Boston affair.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:47 PM EST
‘Canes play tonight in Vancouver and tomorrow in Edmonton.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:29 PM EST
Bit of a dream season for the 27-year-old hometown boy.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:29 PM EST
Free agent signing has been a disappointment this season.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:12 PM EST
“I guess I got him in the back of the leg.”
Dec 9, 2013, 11:49 AM EST
“Well that’s just super,” the Blue Jackets probably didn’t say.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:34 AM EST
It’s a mismatch on paper.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:23 AM EST
He led Philadelphia in scoring for a while.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:12 AM EST
Russian rookie is on fire at the moment.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:10 AM EST
Have won five of their last seven. Play tonight in Vancouver.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 132
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 115
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (115)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)