Feb 25, 2013, 7:14 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Edmonton Oilers forward Taylor Hall, who is serving a two-game suspension for his hit on Minnesota’s Cal Clutterbuck, understands that the footage “was kind of damming.” At the same time, there are some areas that Hall and NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan don’t see eye-to-eye on. (Edmonton Sun)
New Jersey Devils forward Ilya Kovalchuk, who made the same shift from left to right wing that Washington’s Alex Ovechkin is now going through is confident that Ovechkin is going to make it work. Ovechkin is certainly making it easy to believe in him lately, given that he has six goals and 11 points in his last nine games. (Washington Times)
Coach Pete DeBoer refused to blame the New Jersey Devils loss to the Winnipeg Jets on Sunday on a controversial call late in the game. (The Bergen Record)
Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle put part of the blame for Saturday’s 3-2 loss to the Ottawa Senators on himself. He feels that he should have called a timeout just prior to a faceoff in the Leafs’ zone with 28 seconds remaining in regulation time. Ottawa’s Colin Greening scored the game-winner off of the faceoff. (Sportsnet)
The Dallas Stars summoned defensemen Jamie Oleksiak and Carl Sneep from the minors. (NHL.com)
Even with many of their top players injured, the Ottawa Senators are still finding ways to cobble together wins. (Ottawa Sun)
Chicago Blackhawks forward Viktor Stalberg admits that it’s hard not to think about the fact that he’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. At the same time, knowing that this might be his last year with the Blackhawks, he wants to make it count. (Chicago Tribune)
Teemu Selanne has a knack for reaching milestones against the Colorado Avalanche. He achieved his latest on Sunday when he scored his 250th power-play goal. Only two other players in NHL history – Brett Hull and Dave Andreychuk – have exceeded Selanne’s efforts in that category. (Ducks.nhl.com)
Sidney Crosby scored twice to help the Pittsburgh Penguins earn a 5-3 victory over the Tampa Bay Lightning on Sunday. If you missed the contest, you can view the highlights below:
May 24, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
“(He’s) a hell of a hockey player.”
May 24, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
He’s excited about the Avalanche’s future, but he also has other considerations.
May 24, 2013, 8:06 AM EDT
The match will start at 7:30 p.m. ET.
May 24, 2013, 7:16 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
May 24, 2013, 3:04 AM EDT
Typically, this is called.
May 24, 2013, 2:46 AM EDT
On the brink of elimination.
May 24, 2013, 2:28 AM EDT
Remember when he took the blame for first two losses against St. Louis?
May 24, 2013, 2:01 AM EDT
Second goal in 27 games.
May 24, 2013, 1:24 AM EDT
Home team has won every game in this series.
May 24, 2013, 12:28 AM EDT
“Something’s got to give,” Jonathan Toews said.
May 24, 2013, 12:25 AM EDT
Officially sidelined since Feb. 14 due to what GM Mike Gillis cited as safety concerns.
May 23, 2013, 11:44 PM EDT
Something you don’t see every game.
May 23, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT
‘We’ve had streaks before,” he said.
May 23, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
Three straight penalties, still zero goals in the playoffs.
May 23, 2013, 11:01 PM EDT
Detroit wins again.
May 23, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks’ frustrations continue.
May 23, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
May 23, 2013, 10:38 PM EDT
The Game 4 win clearly made him chipper.
May 23, 2013, 10:03 PM EDT
Chris Kreider with some more playoff magic.
May 23, 2013, 9:43 PM EDT
Not Tuukka Rask’s best moments.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 5
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 5
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 46
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 78
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 48
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks