Feb 25, 2013, 7:14 AM EST
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Edmonton Oilers forward Taylor Hall, who is serving a two-game suspension for his hit on Minnesota’s Cal Clutterbuck, understands that the footage “was kind of damming.” At the same time, there are some areas that Hall and NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan don’t see eye-to-eye on. (Edmonton Sun)
New Jersey Devils forward Ilya Kovalchuk, who made the same shift from left to right wing that Washington’s Alex Ovechkin is now going through is confident that Ovechkin is going to make it work. Ovechkin is certainly making it easy to believe in him lately, given that he has six goals and 11 points in his last nine games. (Washington Times)
Coach Pete DeBoer refused to blame the New Jersey Devils loss to the Winnipeg Jets on Sunday on a controversial call late in the game. (The Bergen Record)
Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle put part of the blame for Saturday’s 3-2 loss to the Ottawa Senators on himself. He feels that he should have called a timeout just prior to a faceoff in the Leafs’ zone with 28 seconds remaining in regulation time. Ottawa’s Colin Greening scored the game-winner off of the faceoff. (Sportsnet)
The Dallas Stars summoned defensemen Jamie Oleksiak and Carl Sneep from the minors. (NHL.com)
Even with many of their top players injured, the Ottawa Senators are still finding ways to cobble together wins. (Ottawa Sun)
Chicago Blackhawks forward Viktor Stalberg admits that it’s hard not to think about the fact that he’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. At the same time, knowing that this might be his last year with the Blackhawks, he wants to make it count. (Chicago Tribune)
Teemu Selanne has a knack for reaching milestones against the Colorado Avalanche. He achieved his latest on Sunday when he scored his 250th power-play goal. Only two other players in NHL history – Brett Hull and Dave Andreychuk – have exceeded Selanne’s efforts in that category. (Ducks.nhl.com)
Sidney Crosby scored twice to help the Pittsburgh Penguins earn a 5-3 victory over the Tampa Bay Lightning on Sunday. If you missed the contest, you can view the highlights below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Mar 5, 2015, 1:47 AM EST
Four straight wins for Anaheim.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST
Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
What a roll he and the Sens are on.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST
He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
What better way to make an impression on new teammates.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:26 PM EST
Good news for NYR.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:48 PM EST
Big Buff doing Big Buff things.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST
Also, for causing “significant injury.”
Mar 4, 2015, 7:23 PM EST
8 p.m. ET, on NBCSN
Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST
“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”
Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”
Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
An Original Six matchup at the Joe.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:32 PM EST
Hurt it in practice.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Another small crowd last night at BB&T Center.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 4, 2015, 2:09 PM EST
“You can never have too many d-men at this time of the year.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)