Feb 25, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
The move was not unexpected after head coach Dan Bylsma said Sunday that Malkin “suffered some short-term memory loss and therefore was diagnosed with a concussion” as a result of a fall into the boards in a game against Florida on Friday.
Malkin, 26, is not expected to join his team on its upcoming three-game road trip to Florida (Tuesday), Carolina (Thursday) and Montreal (Saturday).
Pittsburgh’s next home game is Monday against Tampa Bay.
A player can’t spend fewer than seven days on injured reserve.
Malkin has 21 points in 18 games, second on the Pens after Sidney Crosby (28 points) and tied for the 12th most points in the NHL.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 0
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 29
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)