Feb 25, 2013, 10:54 PM EDT
Ottawa Senators goalie Ben Bishop was named the NHL’s third star for his play last week. You have to think he’s already in consideration for the weekly accolade again, after posting a 44-save shootout victory over the Montreal Canadiens Monday.
The Senators were outshot 45-24 in the hockey game, but came away with a 2-1 win thanks to the skills competition, which went five rounds before Peter Regin scored the winner.
Bishop’s 44 saves also tied a Senators record for most saves at home in a win, according to a tweet from Sportsnet reporter Ian Mendes. Last week, the 26-year-old bishop picked up a trio of wins, allowing a combined five goals in those three games.
Bishop has been thrust into the starter’s role in Ottawa, with Craig Anderson recovering from an ankle injury suffered last week.
Mendes added another tweet as to the historical significance of this win for Ottawa.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)