Feb 25, 2013, 10:54 PM EST
Ottawa Senators goalie Ben Bishop was named the NHL’s third star for his play last week. You have to think he’s already in consideration for the weekly accolade again, after posting a 44-save shootout victory over the Montreal Canadiens Monday.
The Senators were outshot 45-24 in the hockey game, but came away with a 2-1 win thanks to the skills competition, which went five rounds before Peter Regin scored the winner.
Bishop’s 44 saves also tied a Senators record for most saves at home in a win, according to a tweet from Sportsnet reporter Ian Mendes. Last week, the 26-year-old bishop picked up a trio of wins, allowing a combined five goals in those three games.
Bishop has been thrust into the starter’s role in Ottawa, with Craig Anderson recovering from an ankle injury suffered last week.
Mendes added another tweet as to the historical significance of this win for Ottawa.
Ottawa sweeps a 4-game homestand for just the second time in franchise history. (Last time: March 1998).—
Ian Mendes (@ian_mendes) February 26, 2013
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 1
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 56
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)