Feb 25, 2013, 8:07 AM EST
NBCSN’s ongoing coverage of the 2013 campaign will continue tonight when the Nashville Predators host the Dallas Stars at the Bridgestone Arena at 8:00 p.m. ET.
The Nashville Predators typically don’t have one or two big-name skilled forwards leading the way, but they’ve generated deceptively good offensive numbers in past years courtesy of a balanced attack.
That hasn’t been the case this season. You could argue that they’re still getting goals from a lot of different players, but not at an adequate pace.
Nashville is the only team in the NHL to be averaging less than two goals per game and they’ve been shutout in each of its last two contests. The Dallas Stars can’t relate to those kinds of problems.
Dallas’ top two lines are filled with significant offensive threats, but none has been more dangerous lately than 23-year-old Jamie Benn. He’s one of the league’s hottest players with six goals and 12 points in his last nine games.
For the Stars the big x-factor is their goaltending — which is exactly what the Predators should want to hear right now.
Number one goalie Kari Lehtonen is questionable with a groin injury, so 29-year-old netminder Cristopher Nilstorp will probably start in just his fifth NHL game, according to the Dallas Morning News’ Mike Heika.
Nilstorp kicked out 31 of 32 San Jose Sharks shots to earn his first career victory on Saturday, but he surrendered four goals in each of his previous two contests.
Only two points separate these two squads as they fight for ground in the NHL playoff race. The battle for the fourth to eighth seeds in the Western Conference figures to be particularly close this season, so the points Nashville and Dallas are fighting for tonight could prove to be critical.
Probable goaltenders: DAL – Nilstorp (1-3-0, 2.60 GAA, .913 SV%) | NSH – Pekka Rinne (7-5-4, 1.77 GAA, .931 SV%)
Dallas – Forwards: Ray Whitney (foot) Defensemen: Aaron Rome (foot), Trevor Daley (neck) Goaltenders: Lehtonen (groin)
Nashville – Forwards: Paul Gaustad (upper body) Defensemen: Hal Gill (lower body)
Mar 5, 2015, 1:47 AM EST
Four straight wins for Anaheim.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST
Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
What a roll he and the Sens are on.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST
He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
What better way to make an impression on new teammates.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:26 PM EST
Good news for NYR.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:48 PM EST
Big Buff doing Big Buff things.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST
Also, for causing “significant injury.”
Mar 4, 2015, 7:23 PM EST
8 p.m. ET, on NBCSN
Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST
“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”
Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”
Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
An Original Six matchup at the Joe.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:32 PM EST
Hurt it in practice.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Another small crowd last night at BB&T Center.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 4, 2015, 2:09 PM EST
“You can never have too many d-men at this time of the year.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)