Feb 25, 2013, 4:58 PM EDT
With four days between Saturday’s 2-1 victory over Columbus and Thursday’s home game versus the Blackhawks, the St. Louis Blues are taking the time to work on a few things.
And by work, we mean work.
Today, head coach Ken Hitchcock put his players through a fast-paced practice with the goal of, in TJ Oshie‘s words, “learning stuff while we’re tired.”
“We’re trying to make guys play with proper precision while being tired, and that’s the big challenge,” Hitchcock said, per the Post-Dispatch. “We’re trying to push it to another level. Our guys were serious and really focused.”
The Blues have won four of their last six contests after a five-game losing streak that saw last season’s best defensive team surrender far too many goals (and Hitchock coin the phrase “home stand from hell.”)
Of course, it’s hard for a team to win games when it’s not getting good goaltending, and St. Louis wasn’t even getting average goaltending from Brian Elliott during that losing streak.
Now that Jaroslav Halak is back and healthy, the Blues should be in position to put some wins together.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)