Feb 25, 2013, 4:40 PM EDT
There’ll be no rest for Ilya Bryzgalov.
That was the word out of Philadelphia prior to Tuesday’s Flyers-Leafs game, as the Flyers announced Bryzgalov would make his 19th start of the season — the most in the NHL thus far.
The development is newsworthy given Bryzgalov said he was ‘exhausted’ last week.
“I feel exhausted, and I’m pretty sure my team feels the same way because it’s a crazy schedule,” he told CSN Philadelphia. “Lots of travel, lots of games, lots of back-to-back games and sometimes it’s just tough to find the energy and emotions to play some games, even when you know it’s a very important game.
“But nothing is left inside you because you need some time to regroup.”
Bryzgalov’s 19th start will put him two ahead of Detroit’s Jimmy Howard and Buffalo’s Ryan Miller as the busiest goalie in the NHL. He also leads in minutes played (1,018) and is second in shots faced (478).
That said, Bryzgalov sounded energized following Saturday’s 5-3 win over the Jets, saying he felt “good, like always.”
The 32-year-old netminder will need to keep feeling good, as Philly’s schedule doesn’t get any lighter.
The Flyers are in the midst of a five-game homestand but, on Mar. 5, will set out to New York to play the Rangers at MSG.
That begins a stretch that will see them play five of their next eight games on the road, which includes a back-to-back on Mar. 9-10 (at Boston, vs. Buffalo.)
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)