Feb 25, 2013, 4:40 PM EDT
There’ll be no rest for Ilya Bryzgalov.
That was the word out of Philadelphia prior to Tuesday’s Flyers-Leafs game, as the Flyers announced Bryzgalov would make his 19th start of the season — the most in the NHL thus far.
The development is newsworthy given Bryzgalov said he was ‘exhausted’ last week.
“I feel exhausted, and I’m pretty sure my team feels the same way because it’s a crazy schedule,” he told CSN Philadelphia. “Lots of travel, lots of games, lots of back-to-back games and sometimes it’s just tough to find the energy and emotions to play some games, even when you know it’s a very important game.
“But nothing is left inside you because you need some time to regroup.”
Bryzgalov’s 19th start will put him two ahead of Detroit’s Jimmy Howard and Buffalo’s Ryan Miller as the busiest goalie in the NHL. He also leads in minutes played (1,018) and is second in shots faced (478).
That said, Bryzgalov sounded energized following Saturday’s 5-3 win over the Jets, saying he felt “good, like always.”
The 32-year-old netminder will need to keep feeling good, as Philly’s schedule doesn’t get any lighter.
The Flyers are in the midst of a five-game homestand but, on Mar. 5, will set out to New York to play the Rangers at MSG.
That begins a stretch that will see them play five of their next eight games on the road, which includes a back-to-back on Mar. 9-10 (at Boston, vs. Buffalo.)
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)