Feb 25, 2013, 2:50 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes have re-upped with defenseman David Schlemko on a two-year, $2.375 million deal with an average annual value of $1.1875 million.
Schlemko, 25, has played in nine games for the Coyotes this year, recording two assists while averaging over 16 minutes per game.
Undrafted out of WHL Medicine Hat, Schlemko signed an entry-level with the ‘Yotes in 2007, then re-upped with the club in 2010 on a three-year, $1.65 million deal ($550k annually.)
This latest deal represents a significant pay raise for the steady, two-way defenseman that was set to become a restricted free agent at season’s end.
He’s been a regular on the Phoenix back-end over the last two years, but has had injury issues — he missed 14 games during the 2010-11 season with a head injury and another 28 last season with a lower-body issue.
Schlemko is currently on injured reserve with a shoulder injury, suffered during a early-February game against Minnesota.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)