Feb 25, 2013, 2:50 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes have re-upped with defenseman David Schlemko on a two-year, $2.375 million deal with an average annual value of $1.1875 million.
Schlemko, 25, has played in nine games for the Coyotes this year, recording two assists while averaging over 16 minutes per game.
Undrafted out of WHL Medicine Hat, Schlemko signed an entry-level with the ‘Yotes in 2007, then re-upped with the club in 2010 on a three-year, $1.65 million deal ($550k annually.)
This latest deal represents a significant pay raise for the steady, two-way defenseman that was set to become a restricted free agent at season’s end.
He’s been a regular on the Phoenix back-end over the last two years, but has had injury issues — he missed 14 games during the 2010-11 season with a head injury and another 28 last season with a lower-body issue.
Schlemko is currently on injured reserve with a shoulder injury, suffered during a early-February game against Minnesota.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 1
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)