Feb 25, 2013, 2:02 PM EDT
“Some nights you didn’t even know if he was gonna come to the rink,” Brouwer told the Washington Post. “It’s tough to play alongside guys like those because you don’t know what you’re gonna get out of ‘em.”
The Caps will host the ‘Canes on Tuesday, marking the first time Semin will play at the Verizon Center in an opponent’s uniform. The 28-year-old spent the first seven seasons of his NHL career in the nation’s capital, scoring 197 goals.
Brouwer doesn’t seem to miss any of it.
He went on to add that while it was tough to lose Semin’s scoring ability “when he wanted to play,” the Caps are “doing well without him.”
Two things to note here:
One, this isn’t the first time one of Semin’s old Washington teammates have blasted him in the media.
In 2011, former Caps winger Matt Bradley (then with the Florida Panthers) said Semin “just doesn’t care” and that “you almost get the sense that he wants to be back in Russia.”
Of course, the big difference between Bradley’s comments and Brouwer’s were that Bradley was no longer a part of the Washington organization upon making them.
(They also weren’t made on the eve of facing Semin.)
Two, Brouwer. He’s had — oh, how to put this — a propensity to vocalize his opinions about the Caps, despite the fact he’s only been there for a year-and-a-half.
Consider the following:
So yeah. Brouwer talks a lot.
As for Semin…well, he’s proven to be a quality pickup for Carolina, sitting third on the team in scoring — 4G-10A-14PTS in 17 games — while averaging 20:49 in ice time per game, most among all ‘Canes forwards.
He’s also won over team captain Eric Staal.
“He has been nothing but great,” Staal told TSN recently. “He’s been a great teammate for everyone in this room and the type of guy who competes in practice and in games and that’s all you can ask for.”
Carolina forward Tim Brent has jumped to Semin’s defense via Twitter…
Just read Troy Brouwer’s comments about Semin. I can say on behalf of his teammates that we love having him here, and he has been (cont)
a big part of our success so far with his consistent play and work ethic. NOT only his scoring ability. I hope he sticks it to them #canes
— Tim Brent (@Brenter37) February 25, 2013
Apr 20, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Devan Dubnyk produces his first playoff shutout.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
It drew a two-minute roughing penalty.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
No call on the first collision.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
Will shifting locales produce interesting results?
Apr 20, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
A close-to-perfect road effort from New York.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
New Jersey’s only player who went under the knife this offseason.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:51 PM EDT
He needs some help, though.
Apr 20, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT
Sleepy start by Pittsburgh.
Apr 20, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
His issue is an upper-body injury.
Apr 20, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
But will he be around to see it happen?
Apr 20, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT
Things can change quickly in the playoffs.
Apr 20, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
He did share some buzzwords though.
Apr 20, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Upper-body injury for the veteran forward.
Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’
Apr 20, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
Was he talking about the Oilers? Sharks?
Apr 20, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Corey Crawford will sit, once again, against the Preds.
Apr 20, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Blues and Wild meet tonight in Game 3 at Xcel.
Apr 20, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT
Meaning he’ll be eligible to play in Tuesday’s Game 4 in Calgary.
Apr 20, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT
Kings have yet to comment on situation.
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 77
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (77)