Feb 25, 2013, 2:02 PM EDT
“Some nights you didn’t even know if he was gonna come to the rink,” Brouwer told the Washington Post. “It’s tough to play alongside guys like those because you don’t know what you’re gonna get out of ‘em.”
The Caps will host the ‘Canes on Tuesday, marking the first time Semin will play at the Verizon Center in an opponent’s uniform. The 28-year-old spent the first seven seasons of his NHL career in the nation’s capital, scoring 197 goals.
Brouwer doesn’t seem to miss any of it.
He went on to add that while it was tough to lose Semin’s scoring ability “when he wanted to play,” the Caps are “doing well without him.”
Two things to note here:
One, this isn’t the first time one of Semin’s old Washington teammates have blasted him in the media.
In 2011, former Caps winger Matt Bradley (then with the Florida Panthers) said Semin “just doesn’t care” and that “you almost get the sense that he wants to be back in Russia.”
Of course, the big difference between Bradley’s comments and Brouwer’s were that Bradley was no longer a part of the Washington organization upon making them.
(They also weren’t made on the eve of facing Semin.)
Two, Brouwer. He’s had — oh, how to put this — a propensity to vocalize his opinions about the Caps, despite the fact he’s only been there for a year-and-a-half.
Consider the following:
So yeah. Brouwer talks a lot.
As for Semin…well, he’s proven to be a quality pickup for Carolina, sitting third on the team in scoring — 4G-10A-14PTS in 17 games — while averaging 20:49 in ice time per game, most among all ‘Canes forwards.
He’s also won over team captain Eric Staal.
“He has been nothing but great,” Staal told TSN recently. “He’s been a great teammate for everyone in this room and the type of guy who competes in practice and in games and that’s all you can ask for.”
Carolina forward Tim Brent has jumped to Semin’s defense via Twitter…
Just read Troy Brouwer’s comments about Semin. I can say on behalf of his teammates that we love having him here, and he has been (cont)
a big part of our success so far with his consistent play and work ethic. NOT only his scoring ability. I hope he sticks it to them #canes
— Tim Brent (@Brenter37) February 25, 2013
Apr 24, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Will Andersen or Hiller start in Game 5?
Apr 24, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
“I think he likes the big stage.”
Apr 24, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Elsewhere, Detroit will play Boston and Colorado will face the Wild.
Apr 24, 2014, 1:59 AM EDT
The Blackhawks gave the Blues a taste of their own medicine.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:52 AM EDT
Another memorable moment for the American star.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:25 AM EDT
The NFL defensive back strategy.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Nice gesture … bad sign?
Apr 23, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT
Nick Foligno called his goal ahead of time.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
Just a nightmarish evening for Anaheim.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Is history repeating itself?
Apr 23, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Pittsburgh once again can’t hold a team to less than three goals.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Many wonder why he played the puck.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
He was hurt on Saturday.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:27 PM EDT
We ask, you answer.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
He was punished for a knee-on-knee hit to Colorado’s Tyson Barrie.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:37 PM EDT
Chicago is trying to even the series.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
But Pittsburgh’s lead is far from secure.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
He was second in the regular season scoring race.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
San Jose will go for the sweep on Thursday.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
Nick Schultz took his place.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 19
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 80
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 96
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)