Feb 25, 2013, 2:02 PM EDT
“Some nights you didn’t even know if he was gonna come to the rink,” Brouwer told the Washington Post. “It’s tough to play alongside guys like those because you don’t know what you’re gonna get out of ‘em.”
The Caps will host the ‘Canes on Tuesday, marking the first time Semin will play at the Verizon Center in an opponent’s uniform. The 28-year-old spent the first seven seasons of his NHL career in the nation’s capital, scoring 197 goals.
Brouwer doesn’t seem to miss any of it.
He went on to add that while it was tough to lose Semin’s scoring ability “when he wanted to play,” the Caps are “doing well without him.”
Two things to note here:
One, this isn’t the first time one of Semin’s old Washington teammates have blasted him in the media.
In 2011, former Caps winger Matt Bradley (then with the Florida Panthers) said Semin “just doesn’t care” and that “you almost get the sense that he wants to be back in Russia.”
Of course, the big difference between Bradley’s comments and Brouwer’s were that Bradley was no longer a part of the Washington organization upon making them.
(They also weren’t made on the eve of facing Semin.)
Two, Brouwer. He’s had — oh, how to put this — a propensity to vocalize his opinions about the Caps, despite the fact he’s only been there for a year-and-a-half.
Consider the following:
So yeah. Brouwer talks a lot.
As for Semin…well, he’s proven to be a quality pickup for Carolina, sitting third on the team in scoring — 4G-10A-14PTS in 17 games — while averaging 20:49 in ice time per game, most among all ‘Canes forwards.
He’s also won over team captain Eric Staal.
“He has been nothing but great,” Staal told TSN recently. “He’s been a great teammate for everyone in this room and the type of guy who competes in practice and in games and that’s all you can ask for.”
Carolina forward Tim Brent has jumped to Semin’s defense via Twitter…
Just read Troy Brouwer’s comments about Semin. I can say on behalf of his teammates that we love having him here, and he has been (cont)
a big part of our success so far with his consistent play and work ethic. NOT only his scoring ability. I hope he sticks it to them #canes
— Tim Brent (@Brenter37) February 25, 2013
May 20, 2013, 12:55 AM EDT
May 20, 2013, 12:04 AM EDT
May 19, 2013, 11:48 PM EDT
Ottawa back in the series.
May 19, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
Looked like a minor penalty. Went undetected.
May 19, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
May 19, 2013, 9:55 PM EDT
Tried to sell it. Didn’t work.
May 19, 2013, 9:33 PM EDT
Pittsburgh with the lead after two periods.
May 19, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT
Big hit. Appeared clean, too.
May 19, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
Torres suspended for remainder of semifinal series.
May 19, 2013, 8:53 PM EDT
May 19, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
Needs to be better for Game 3.
May 19, 2013, 7:31 PM EDT
Lighting it up right now.
May 19, 2013, 6:43 PM EDT
Boston with three unanswered goals.
May 19, 2013, 6:08 PM EDT
Rest of the night didn’t go so well.
May 19, 2013, 5:51 PM EDT
New York trailed 2-0 in first-round series with Washington.
May 19, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT
Canucks’ captain scores twice. Where was that in the playoffs?
May 19, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
He escapes the league’s ire.
May 19, 2013, 4:14 PM EDT
Brad Marchand might want a do-over.
May 19, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT
A pair of young players led the way.
May 19, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
Their youthful trio will play once again.
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 1
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 13
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 12
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 22
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 32
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles