Feb 24, 2013, 11:03 PM EDT
After partially denying it earlier on Sunday, Dan Bylsma and the Pittsburgh Penguins confirmed fears that Evgeni Malkin is suffering from a concussion related to a collision with Erik Gudbranson on Friday.
Head coach Dan Bylsma said that he’s experiencing some short-term memory loss. That being said, the 26-year-old’s memory is reportedly improving and he’s not experiencing other symptoms.
The reigning Hart Trophy winner won’t travel with the team on a three-game road trip that begins on Tuesday. In case you’re wondering, the Penguins’ first game after that trio of road games is a March 4 game against the Tampa Bay Lightning. (Obviously he could miss more time than just those three contests, though.)
The Penguins beat the Lightning 5-3 without Malkin to take the top spot in the Eastern Conference on Sunday night.
Here are the highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 21
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 13
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 64
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)