Feb 24, 2013, 11:03 PM EDT
After partially denying it earlier on Sunday, Dan Bylsma and the Pittsburgh Penguins confirmed fears that Evgeni Malkin is suffering from a concussion related to a collision with Erik Gudbranson on Friday.
Head coach Dan Bylsma said that he’s experiencing some short-term memory loss. That being said, the 26-year-old’s memory is reportedly improving and he’s not experiencing other symptoms.
The reigning Hart Trophy winner won’t travel with the team on a three-game road trip that begins on Tuesday. In case you’re wondering, the Penguins’ first game after that trio of road games is a March 4 game against the Tampa Bay Lightning. (Obviously he could miss more time than just those three contests, though.)
The Penguins beat the Lightning 5-3 without Malkin to take the top spot in the Eastern Conference on Sunday night.
Here are the highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)