Pens admit Malkin is concussed, won’t travel Tuesday

Feb 24, 2013, 11:03 PM EST

Evgeni Malkin Getty Images

After partially denying it earlier on Sunday, Dan Bylsma and the Pittsburgh Penguins confirmed fears that Evgeni Malkin is suffering from a concussion related to a collision with Erik Gudbranson on Friday.

Head coach Dan Bylsma said that he’s experiencing some short-term memory loss. That being said, the 26-year-old’s memory is reportedly improving and he’s not experiencing other symptoms.

The reigning Hart Trophy winner won’t travel with the team on a three-game road trip that begins on Tuesday. In case you’re wondering, the Penguins’ first game after that trio of road games is a March 4 game against the Tampa Bay Lightning. (Obviously he could miss more time than just those three contests, though.)

The Penguins beat the Lightning 5-3 without Malkin to take the top spot in the Eastern Conference on Sunday night.

Here are the highlights:

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. phillyphanatic77 - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:19 PM

What did Bylsma have to gain by denying that Malkin had symptoms? He was already ruled out of tonight’s game. Hitting your head that hard almost has to cause a concussion, especially with the velocity that his head whipped backwards. Anyway, the Pens looked fine without him tonight. Entertaining game, but they better watch those leads. They seem to always let down after fast starts.

• steelpenbucs87 - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:33 PM

He denied headaches, but said Malkin was being evaluated for concussion so that still jives.

Great win tonight for the boys, get a couple more so we don’t need to rush Geno back.

• somekat - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:51 AM

As a flyers fan, I’d have to agree, as much as I dislike the Pens. If there is one team in the league, in all of sports even, that would be out of their minds to play games with concussions it’s the Pens

The Flyers have their own dubious history with concussions in the form of Lindros, although at that time, they weren’t a major issue, so it’s not the same as it is now. Back then it was still common place for a guy with a concussion to use some smelling salts and get back on the ice.

The Pens have a spotlight on how they handle them because of Cindy’s early concussions. The last year + they have handled it differently, but those first few he seemed rushed back. As much as he annoys me as a Flyers fan, I don’t wanna see his career cut short (like Lindros), or him not being the player he should be because he has to play tentative (also like Lindros).
        Although, he doens’t have the disadvantage of being Lindros’s size. Lindros took “questionable” hits from people all the time, and the refs just kind of let it go because he was so big. He got less “star protection” than any star I’ve ever seen (this includes after he left Philly)

2. Stiller43 - Feb 24, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Did he deny he had a concussion? Or did he deny he had headaches? Because he is STILL saying there are no headaches.

• pensswag91 - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:20 AM

That short-term memory loss for sure.

• PFT=crap - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:27 PM

He can’t remember having any headaches

3. dawglb - Feb 25, 2013 at 7:25 AM

“Evgeni Malkin is suffering from a concussion related to a collision with Erik Gudbranson on Friday.”

“Collision”?!?!? (With Erik Gudbranson)?!?! REALLY!?!
    Puh-lease.
    Try Collision with the BOARDS after being barely touched by Gudbranson.

• aso513 - Feb 25, 2013 at 8:34 AM

^ tool.

4. hockeywithdrawal - Feb 25, 2013 at 7:44 AM

I think this is just a situation where a writer is taking certain liberties in choosing his words – things like denying, admitting, etc., just to spark the kind of comments being written here. The Pens’ management had absolutely no motivation to purposely contort the facts to make it seem like Malkin was ok. Bylsma only listed symptoms that Malkin had, and didn’t have – he also never said “Malkin’s ok”.

Once troubling symptoms started to arise, the Pens made it clear that Malkin would not be travelling with the team on the upcoming road trip. Non-issue as far as that goes.

Only thing left to say is “get better, kid”.

5. ironman721 - Feb 25, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Not a surprise but still very unfortunate. Take care Geno and get well.

6. cudahatestheravens - Feb 25, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Sheesh – take it easy. Bylsma is just stating what symptoms he has/had and they are doing exactly what they need to protect the player. They have some experience dealing with concussed stars IMO.

7. davebabychreturns - Feb 25, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I’m just gonna say it, as a Canucks fan who watched Malkin board Willie Mitchell on a nothing play in a long-decided game, then watched Mitchell miss months of action with a serious concussion….

Actually you know what, I’m not going to say it.

• steelpenbucs87 - Feb 25, 2013 at 9:10 AM

If you’re happy that Malkin is hurt (out of some misguided notion that he deserves because of something that happened 3 years ago), then just say it – don’t write out this entire thing and then say “I’m not going to say it” in some completely hollow attempt at self-restraint. If you actually didn’t want to say it then you would have just deleted your post entirely, but instead you decided to post it anyway because you wanted to make sure that your little reference got noticed, but without the risk of putting into writing that you think Malkin deserves to be hurt.

And honestly if you feel that way, while I disagree with you (and find saying that anyone ‘deserves’ to be hurt abhorrent) I would at least respect you for having the fortitude to say it.

Be a man, say your piece, and if people disagree with you then have the conviction to stand by what you said.

• davebabychreturns - Feb 25, 2013 at 9:19 AM

So your entire qualm with my comment is based in semantics?

I’m not going to come right out and say “I’m happy Malkin is injured” because I’m not – however with this particular player I’ve felt for awhile that he’s capable of recklessness and selfishness out of frustration, which I find extremely immature. Frankly I’d rather see a player like that do a stint on the IR (although I hate to see anyone concussed) than an honest, clean player – it just seems more fitting.

Coming in here and saying “yay Malkin is hurt, that prick had it coming” would be immature and would pretty much assure a bunch of pointless hostility in response.. and we both know that there is a vocal contingent of Pens fans on here ready to get angry about people who dislike their boys.

So I’ll just point out that Malkin is no angel, and that if you believe that some guys in this league “have it coming” to them, he might be one of them – and be on my way.

• steelpenbucs87 - Feb 25, 2013 at 9:50 AM

See once again – you spend your entire comment practically sprinting at an opinion that you seem to hold, without actually saying it explicitly. “If you believe that some guys have it coming (NOTE: I don’t), then he might be one of them…” come on man.

I don’t disagree with the vast majority of what you said, but you’re also proving my point (one that wasn’t really based on semantics) if the reason that you didn’t say what you wanted to say is because you were worried about ‘pointless hostility’ from a vocal contingent of Pens fans – who by the way, are complete idiots.

If you believe something, have it where it counts and say what you think and stand behind it, pointless hostility or no pointless hostility.

• davebabychreturns - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:04 AM

You’re projecting again.

• steelpenbucs87 - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Hahaha please spare me the Freudian analysis there bud. It’s plain as day what your opinion is, yet you refuse to actually state it. I’m certainly not projecting because I don’t believe that Malkin SHOULD be hurt, and I’m not happy that he is. You on the other hand have gone out of your way to imply that, but haven’t said it.

What’s amazing is people usually use the anonymity of the internet to state unpopular opinions free from rebuke, but you continue to hide behind this technicality of not stating your opinion outright.

• hockeywithdrawal - Feb 25, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I don’t think anyone is claiming Malkin is an angel – but you’re talking about a hit that received no fine, no suspension, just a WHOLE LOT of Willie Mitchell running his yap. The bottom line was that you are correct – it was reckless…there is normally a lot of jostling for position in situations like that, and Malkin threw his weight into someone that wasn’t expecting it. But that doesn’t make him any dirtier a player than anyone else. My honest opinion was that Mitchell got sloppy on that play, but it was definitely a penalty.

I’m sure Toews’ fans were ok with Mitchell going down, right? Probably not.

• davebabychreturns - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:08 AM

The Mitchell hit on Toews was clean, in fact it was literally a textbook example of a clean hit when the league introduced rule 48 and sent out tapes of examples.

The Malkin hit on Mitchell was dirty, he may not have received a fine or suspension but that doesn’t make the hit clean. Boarding a guy is about as dangerous as it gets but because players rarely are injured as severely as Mitchell was you don’t get the supplementary discipline (because the league isn’t scared of the optics).

As for Mitchell running his mouth about it I wouldn’t really know, my opinion on the play is based on what I saw, not on what Mitchell or Colin Campbell or anyone else said.

• hockeywithdrawal - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I agree…the hit on Mitchell WAS dangerous, and also reckless. Malkin is a moose and he needs to be held accountable for his moose-osity…with a penalty…not a concussion – Malkin is NOT disrespected by other players as a dirty player, not at all. League didn’t suspend it because it wasn’t intentionally dirty, just reckless/dangerous. At that time they weren’t suspending as much as now. Either way, he deserved the penalty, not so much a concussion in return. Wishing bad things on another player, or being ok with injuries sustained on the grounds of previous recklessness, is dangerous, and reckless, as well.

I’ve confused even myself – I hope you’re happy. Good day to you, sir.

• johninpa - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Gotta go with steelpenbucs on this one, davebaby. Say what’s on your mind. If you want to call it karma, want to say he had it coming or whatever, that’s fine. I wouldn’t agree, and certainly wouldn’t like it much, but it sure would be a lot better than painting the picture and then coming up with “I’m not going to say it”.

8. aso513 - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Per Adam Gretz:

Since the start of 2010-11 Sidney Crosby is 41st in the NHL in total points, despite playing in just 82 games. He’s the only player in the top-100 that has played in fewer than 130 games. The players directly above him (Milan Lucic) and below him (Jordan Eberle) have played in 174 and 164 games respectively.

He’s averaging 1.60 points per game. The No. 2 player, Evgeni Malkin, is averaging 1.23. The gap between Crosby and Malkin is as large as the gap between Malkin and the No. 31 player, Jamie Benn.

9. broadstbully33 - Feb 25, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Dirty player. Karma coming full circle.

• hockeywithdrawal - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:44 AM

He’s got a Ted Lindsay award from 2012, which was voted on by the other players, that says you’re wrong. Most outstanding player in the league, say they. Dirty no, outstanding yes.

• jpelle82 - Feb 25, 2013 at 12:44 PM

come on now. he gets frustrated and takes bad penalties – thats my only complaint with malkin as a fan – he cost us 2 games this year with bad penalties and goals scored because of them, but he is not dirty. he will definitely slash you back or facewash you in a scrum, but i dont know of too many players who dont do that. he isnt head hunting, slew footing, or throwing reckless elbows at guys.

10. isithockeyseasonyet - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Hate this dude but as a former athlete, I wish no injury on anyone, from crosby to malkin to my most hated pro athlete tony romo, I hope they suck and put up crap numbers but not at the expense of being injured…we’re not all scum bags in philly as many of you frequently suggest

11. boltsfan777 - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I’m hope Malkin gets well soon. The league needs guys like him. The Pens still look very strong without him, but it has to be a big loss. It seems the rookies that teams bring up to fill in are NHL ready these days, so it’s a good opportunity evaluate new talent. Great game last night, except for the first two goals.

12. broadstbully33 - Feb 25, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Apparently you didn’t watch playoffs last year. Pens as a whole were head hunting, throwing knees out and looking to hit high. I liked Malkin before playoffs last year when the dirt was all over him and Neal mostly

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches