Feb 24, 2013, 11:03 PM EST
After partially denying it earlier on Sunday, Dan Bylsma and the Pittsburgh Penguins confirmed fears that Evgeni Malkin is suffering from a concussion related to a collision with Erik Gudbranson on Friday.
Head coach Dan Bylsma said that he’s experiencing some short-term memory loss. That being said, the 26-year-old’s memory is reportedly improving and he’s not experiencing other symptoms.
The reigning Hart Trophy winner won’t travel with the team on a three-game road trip that begins on Tuesday. In case you’re wondering, the Penguins’ first game after that trio of road games is a March 4 game against the Tampa Bay Lightning. (Obviously he could miss more time than just those three contests, though.)
The Penguins beat the Lightning 5-3 without Malkin to take the top spot in the Eastern Conference on Sunday night.
Here are the highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 5
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 57
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)