Feb 24, 2013, 11:03 PM EST
After partially denying it earlier on Sunday, Dan Bylsma and the Pittsburgh Penguins confirmed fears that Evgeni Malkin is suffering from a concussion related to a collision with Erik Gudbranson on Friday.
Head coach Dan Bylsma said that he’s experiencing some short-term memory loss. That being said, the 26-year-old’s memory is reportedly improving and he’s not experiencing other symptoms.
The reigning Hart Trophy winner won’t travel with the team on a three-game road trip that begins on Tuesday. In case you’re wondering, the Penguins’ first game after that trio of road games is a March 4 game against the Tampa Bay Lightning. (Obviously he could miss more time than just those three contests, though.)
The Penguins beat the Lightning 5-3 without Malkin to take the top spot in the Eastern Conference on Sunday night.
Here are the highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 7
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 15
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 17
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)