Feb 24, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
There’s been plenty of hype surrounding young Florida goalie Jacob Markstrom for a couple years now. After seeing him stand on his head in a loss to Pittsburgh on Friday night, the excitement is justifiable.
On the flip side of things, Markstrom’s arrival has turned the Panthers crease into a crowded one. After all, Jose Theodore is still the incumbent starter and Scott Clemmensen is signed through next season. Harvey Fialkov of the Sun Sentinel says Markstrom’s arrival could mean there’s a trade coming in their future and Theodore is most likely to be moved.
Fialkov says Theodore could be an attractive backup option for a team like the Bruins who have Anton Khudobin backing up Tuukka Rask. Theodore is on the final year of his contract so any team looking for help in goal would only need to commit through the rest of this season.
As long as we’re spitballing ideas on who might need a veteran for support, why not the Detroit Red Wings? Jonas Gustavsson has been hurt more than he’s been healthy and Jimmy Howard is going to need a break sooner or later before he gets run ragged.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 6
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 16
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 9
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 51
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- HBT: Angels' Trout hits for cycle against Mariners