Feb 24, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
There’s been plenty of hype surrounding young Florida goalie Jacob Markstrom for a couple years now. After seeing him stand on his head in a loss to Pittsburgh on Friday night, the excitement is justifiable.
On the flip side of things, Markstrom’s arrival has turned the Panthers crease into a crowded one. After all, Jose Theodore is still the incumbent starter and Scott Clemmensen is signed through next season. Harvey Fialkov of the Sun Sentinel says Markstrom’s arrival could mean there’s a trade coming in their future and Theodore is most likely to be moved.
Fialkov says Theodore could be an attractive backup option for a team like the Bruins who have Anton Khudobin backing up Tuukka Rask. Theodore is on the final year of his contract so any team looking for help in goal would only need to commit through the rest of this season.
As long as we’re spitballing ideas on who might need a veteran for support, why not the Detroit Red Wings? Jonas Gustavsson has been hurt more than he’s been healthy and Jimmy Howard is going to need a break sooner or later before he gets run ragged.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 2
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 22
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)