Feb 24, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
There’s been plenty of hype surrounding young Florida goalie Jacob Markstrom for a couple years now. After seeing him stand on his head in a loss to Pittsburgh on Friday night, the excitement is justifiable.
On the flip side of things, Markstrom’s arrival has turned the Panthers crease into a crowded one. After all, Jose Theodore is still the incumbent starter and Scott Clemmensen is signed through next season. Harvey Fialkov of the Sun Sentinel says Markstrom’s arrival could mean there’s a trade coming in their future and Theodore is most likely to be moved.
Fialkov says Theodore could be an attractive backup option for a team like the Bruins who have Anton Khudobin backing up Tuukka Rask. Theodore is on the final year of his contract so any team looking for help in goal would only need to commit through the rest of this season.
As long as we’re spitballing ideas on who might need a veteran for support, why not the Detroit Red Wings? Jonas Gustavsson has been hurt more than he’s been healthy and Jimmy Howard is going to need a break sooner or later before he gets run ragged.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)