Feb 24, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
There’s been plenty of hype surrounding young Florida goalie Jacob Markstrom for a couple years now. After seeing him stand on his head in a loss to Pittsburgh on Friday night, the excitement is justifiable.
On the flip side of things, Markstrom’s arrival has turned the Panthers crease into a crowded one. After all, Jose Theodore is still the incumbent starter and Scott Clemmensen is signed through next season. Harvey Fialkov of the Sun Sentinel says Markstrom’s arrival could mean there’s a trade coming in their future and Theodore is most likely to be moved.
Fialkov says Theodore could be an attractive backup option for a team like the Bruins who have Anton Khudobin backing up Tuukka Rask. Theodore is on the final year of his contract so any team looking for help in goal would only need to commit through the rest of this season.
As long as we’re spitballing ideas on who might need a veteran for support, why not the Detroit Red Wings? Jonas Gustavsson has been hurt more than he’s been healthy and Jimmy Howard is going to need a break sooner or later before he gets run ragged.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)