Feb 24, 2013, 9:54 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks managed to keep their winning streak going while Corey Crawford recovered from what might have been a concussion, but they needed a strong game from him to extend their record start to 18 games.
Crawford stopped all 28 Columbus Blue Jackets shots on Sunday to help Chicago eke out a 1-0 win. This marks the 28-year-old’s second shutout of the season, pushing his record to 8-0-3 with a .941 save percentage and 1.50 GAA.
Not bad for a guy many expected to be a significant liability.
The Blackhawks’ opening record is now 15-0-3 (33 points). No other NHL team has 30. Many believe that the cut-off point for a playoff spot could be 55 points this season, so the Blackhawks are motoring toward that benchmark.
Some thought Andrew Shaw might see supplemental discipline for the Friday check that enraged Ryane Clowe to the point of possibly taking the kind of retribution that might draw a 10-game suspension. Instead, Shaw was the game’s only goal scorer.
If you believe fatigue could be the Blackhawks’ undoing, Monday’s game against the Taylor Hall-less Edmonton Oilers could be a test. So far, they’ve passed just about all of them.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)