Feb 24, 2013, 9:54 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks managed to keep their winning streak going while Corey Crawford recovered from what might have been a concussion, but they needed a strong game from him to extend their record start to 18 games.
Crawford stopped all 28 Columbus Blue Jackets shots on Sunday to help Chicago eke out a 1-0 win. This marks the 28-year-old’s second shutout of the season, pushing his record to 8-0-3 with a .941 save percentage and 1.50 GAA.
Not bad for a guy many expected to be a significant liability.
The Blackhawks’ opening record is now 15-0-3 (33 points). No other NHL team has 30. Many believe that the cut-off point for a playoff spot could be 55 points this season, so the Blackhawks are motoring toward that benchmark.
Some thought Andrew Shaw might see supplemental discipline for the Friday check that enraged Ryane Clowe to the point of possibly taking the kind of retribution that might draw a 10-game suspension. Instead, Shaw was the game’s only goal scorer.
If you believe fatigue could be the Blackhawks’ undoing, Monday’s game against the Taylor Hall-less Edmonton Oilers could be a test. So far, they’ve passed just about all of them.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 0
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)