Feb 23, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Joe Thornton is starting to look like the guy who used to stack up 100+ penalty minute seasons with the Boston Bruins. Not that long after fighting Jonathan Toews, the San Jose Sharks captain dropped the gloves with another big name: Dallas Stars standout Jamie Benn:
Hockey Fights’ voters handed the win to Jumbo Joe, but his opponent got the last laugh.
Benn, 23, registered a Gordie Howe hat trick with a goal and an assist as well, helping Dallas beat San Jose 3-1 on Saturday.
The Stars broke a two-game losing streak at home while the Sharks’ struggles continue, with just one victory in February.
Here’s a great photo of the duel, via Getty:
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 2
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 27
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)