Feb 23, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Joe Thornton is starting to look like the guy who used to stack up 100+ penalty minute seasons with the Boston Bruins. Not that long after fighting Jonathan Toews, the San Jose Sharks captain dropped the gloves with another big name: Dallas Stars standout Jamie Benn:
Hockey Fights’ voters handed the win to Jumbo Joe, but his opponent got the last laugh.
Benn, 23, registered a Gordie Howe hat trick with a goal and an assist as well, helping Dallas beat San Jose 3-1 on Saturday.
The Stars broke a two-game losing streak at home while the Sharks’ struggles continue, with just one victory in February.
Here’s a great photo of the duel, via Getty:
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 14
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 30
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 42
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)