Feb 23, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Joe Thornton is starting to look like the guy who used to stack up 100+ penalty minute seasons with the Boston Bruins. Not that long after fighting Jonathan Toews, the San Jose Sharks captain dropped the gloves with another big name: Dallas Stars standout Jamie Benn:
Hockey Fights’ voters handed the win to Jumbo Joe, but his opponent got the last laugh.
Benn, 23, registered a Gordie Howe hat trick with a goal and an assist as well, helping Dallas beat San Jose 3-1 on Saturday.
The Stars broke a two-game losing streak at home while the Sharks’ struggles continue, with just one victory in February.
Here’s a great photo of the duel, via Getty:
- Andre’s gigantic game: Caps push Rangers to the brink 33
- Quick strike: Lightning steal Game 3 from Habs with last-second goal 17
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Canada fights back to beat Sweden at worlds 18
- NHL hockey ops explains no-goal call 46
- Jack Adams Award finalists to be announced tonight 4
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 10
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 15
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 53
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ (67)
- Lundqvist thinks Backstrom’s hit caused Rangers to lose focus before game-winning goal (63)