Feb 23, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Joe Thornton is starting to look like the guy who used to stack up 100+ penalty minute seasons with the Boston Bruins. Not that long after fighting Jonathan Toews, the San Jose Sharks captain dropped the gloves with another big name: Dallas Stars standout Jamie Benn:
Hockey Fights’ voters handed the win to Jumbo Joe, but his opponent got the last laugh.
Benn, 23, registered a Gordie Howe hat trick with a goal and an assist as well, helping Dallas beat San Jose 3-1 on Saturday.
The Stars broke a two-game losing streak at home while the Sharks’ struggles continue, with just one victory in February.
Here’s a great photo of the duel, via Getty:
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)