Feb 23, 2013, 7:08 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers boast a staggering array of young talent, but Sam Gagner‘s future with the team is uncertain. The pending restricted free agent can beef up his resume by pairing this highlight reel shootout goal with his eight-point game from last season:
That tally helped the Oilers complete a comeback from a 2-0 deficit to beat the Phoenix Coyotes 3-2 (SO) on Saturday.
Gagner also had an assist, giving him 17 points in 17 games.
He’s never had more than the 47 points he scored in 2011-12, but perhaps his dad was correct about that historic game catapulting him to a new level; he scored 25 of his 47 points in the final 32 games of last season.
Head coach Ralph Kruger called the win a “critical moment” for the young team.
Jordan Eberle also had a nice goal in the shootout, so here’s full footage of that skills competition if you’d like to compare and contrast:
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 11
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 20
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 31
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)