Feb 23, 2013, 7:08 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers boast a staggering array of young talent, but Sam Gagner‘s future with the team is uncertain. The pending restricted free agent can beef up his resume by pairing this highlight reel shootout goal with his eight-point game from last season:
That tally helped the Oilers complete a comeback from a 2-0 deficit to beat the Phoenix Coyotes 3-2 (SO) on Saturday.
Gagner also had an assist, giving him 17 points in 17 games.
He’s never had more than the 47 points he scored in 2011-12, but perhaps his dad was correct about that historic game catapulting him to a new level; he scored 25 of his 47 points in the final 32 games of last season.
Head coach Ralph Kruger called the win a “critical moment” for the young team.
Jordan Eberle also had a nice goal in the shootout, so here’s full footage of that skills competition if you’d like to compare and contrast:
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 20
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 17
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)