Feb 23, 2013, 7:08 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers boast a staggering array of young talent, but Sam Gagner‘s future with the team is uncertain. The pending restricted free agent can beef up his resume by pairing this highlight reel shootout goal with his eight-point game from last season:
That tally helped the Oilers complete a comeback from a 2-0 deficit to beat the Phoenix Coyotes 3-2 (SO) on Saturday.
Gagner also had an assist, giving him 17 points in 17 games.
He’s never had more than the 47 points he scored in 2011-12, but perhaps his dad was correct about that historic game catapulting him to a new level; he scored 25 of his 47 points in the final 32 games of last season.
Head coach Ralph Kruger called the win a “critical moment” for the young team.
Jordan Eberle also had a nice goal in the shootout, so here’s full footage of that skills competition if you’d like to compare and contrast:
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 10
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)