Feb 23, 2013, 1:34 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks were on even terms with the Chicago Blackhawks when they skated upon a potentially winning chance.
Instead, the Sharks’ opportunity – a power play early in the third period – turned on itself. The Blackhawks, thanks to a Brandon Saad short-handed goal, took the lead, never looked back and accomplished NHL history with a 2-1 win over San Jose.
Naturally, Sharks bench boss Todd McLellan wasn’t about the goal being given up, or how it was given up. And it was defenseman Brent Burns, who backed off and left Saad plenty of room for the shot, that drew the coach’s ire.
“I thought we let a player in a situation that wasn’t very dangerous skate into a primary scoring spot without even challenging him,” McLellan told the San Jose Mercury News.
Added the Sharks’ Joe Thornton to CSN Chicago: “It was a good game, we started the way we wanted to start.
“We’ve been pretty good on the power play, not letting them score, but [Saad’s goal] was a killer. For the game-winning goal to be like that, it’s tough.
The Sharks continue to struggle in the month of February. One win in the last nine games has the Sharks reeling at sixth in the Western Conference and only two points ahead of the Dallas Stars and Detroit Red Wings, who both sit outside of the top eight at ninth and 10th, respectively.
Friday’s loss represented the sixth consecutive game in which the Sharks were reduced to two-goals for or less.
“Yeah, you’re [angry]. You’re not happy with it and you shouldn’t be after a loss,” McLellan told NHL.com.
“The effort was much better [than in previous losses to Chicago this season]. The battle was better. We still only scored one goal. We gave up the winner on the power play. So we should all be a little unhappy.”
Jun 30, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
But this isn’t the first time such a scenario has been reported.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT
San Jose acquired him from Boston earlier in the day.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
He was set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:27 PM EDT
Detroit’s creating an opportunity for one of its young forwards.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:06 PM EDT
Arizona is getting back its former center.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT
He’s set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday.
Jun 30, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT
He hasn’t been charged with a crime, but is reportedly being investigated.
Jun 30, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Its reportedly a one-way deal worth $800,000.
Jun 30, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
The forward was a part of a seven-player trade on Tuesday.
Jun 30, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT
Won NHL’s coach of the year in 2013 with Ottawa.
Jun 30, 2015, 6:07 PM EDT
Where he’ll be reunited with former teammate Ryan Kesler.
Jun 30, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
Calgary’s GM responded to comments in a Boston Herald story regarding defenseman Dougie Hamilton.
Jun 30, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
A total of seven players involved in Tuesday’s trade.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
RFA defenseman appeared in a career-high 76 games last year.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT
Rangers and Bruins let their respective rearguards walk, thereby deepening the free agent pool.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
So says his agent.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:41 PM EDT
Jun 30, 2015, 2:04 PM EDT
Cap hit around $5.75 million.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Former first-round pick is relieved after a “stressful” last few days.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Who might be interested?
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 0
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 31
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 19
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)