Feb 23, 2013, 9:34 AM EDT
The injury bug has got a hold of the Rangers now.
The team is already dealing with Rick Nash being out of action through the weekend but now it looks like you can add Arron Asham to that list as well. To make up for his absence the team is dipping into their stock of youth yet again and, according to Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants, have called up 20 year-old Christian Thomas from AHL Connecticut.
As Gross notes, however, this could also mean Nash is headed for injured reserve to let the team add another body.
The Rangers used Stu Bickel as a forward in their last game, a shootout loss to Ottawa, and he played just over six minutes of game time. With the kind of wear and tear other players are taking up front, having one guy get such little time doesn’t help much.
Thomas was the Rangers’ second-round pick in the 2010 draft (40th overall) and he’s the son of former NHL power forward Steve Thomas. Don’t you feel a little older now? Good.
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 3
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 15
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 31
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)