Feb 23, 2013, 9:34 AM EST
The injury bug has got a hold of the Rangers now.
The team is already dealing with Rick Nash being out of action through the weekend but now it looks like you can add Arron Asham to that list as well. To make up for his absence the team is dipping into their stock of youth yet again and, according to Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants, have called up 20 year-old Christian Thomas from AHL Connecticut.
As Gross notes, however, this could also mean Nash is headed for injured reserve to let the team add another body.
The Rangers used Stu Bickel as a forward in their last game, a shootout loss to Ottawa, and he played just over six minutes of game time. With the kind of wear and tear other players are taking up front, having one guy get such little time doesn’t help much.
Thomas was the Rangers’ second-round pick in the 2010 draft (40th overall) and he’s the son of former NHL power forward Steve Thomas. Don’t you feel a little older now? Good.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)