Feb 23, 2013, 9:34 AM EDT
The injury bug has got a hold of the Rangers now.
The team is already dealing with Rick Nash being out of action through the weekend but now it looks like you can add Arron Asham to that list as well. To make up for his absence the team is dipping into their stock of youth yet again and, according to Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants, have called up 20 year-old Christian Thomas from AHL Connecticut.
As Gross notes, however, this could also mean Nash is headed for injured reserve to let the team add another body.
The Rangers used Stu Bickel as a forward in their last game, a shootout loss to Ottawa, and he played just over six minutes of game time. With the kind of wear and tear other players are taking up front, having one guy get such little time doesn’t help much.
Thomas was the Rangers’ second-round pick in the 2010 draft (40th overall) and he’s the son of former NHL power forward Steve Thomas. Don’t you feel a little older now? Good.
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 4
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 25
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 18
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)