Feb 23, 2013, 3:59 PM EST
It’d been a while since Alex Ovechkin scored a hat trick in a game. Thankfully for him, the New Jersey Devils were able to help out this afternoon.
Ovechkin scored three times and added an assist in helping the Caps beat Johan Hedberg and the Devils 5-1 in Washington. As Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times shares, it was his first hat trick since January 22, 2011 and his first trick at home since February 7, 2010. Safe to say this kind of performance from Ovechkin has been missed in Washington.
Ovechkin’s big day gives him eight goals on the season now and with his team seemingly starting to figure out how to play together, perhaps there’s more of this to come. Let’s not get too excited though, today’s win finally got the Caps out of last place in the NHL. Welcome to the basement, Buffalo.
Take a look at the goal Ovechkin scored to net him the hat trick. Also check out the save Hedberg makes to prevent him from scoring it sooner.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 36
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)