Feb 23, 2013, 3:59 PM EDT
It’d been a while since Alex Ovechkin scored a hat trick in a game. Thankfully for him, the New Jersey Devils were able to help out this afternoon.
Ovechkin scored three times and added an assist in helping the Caps beat Johan Hedberg and the Devils 5-1 in Washington. As Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times shares, it was his first hat trick since January 22, 2011 and his first trick at home since February 7, 2010. Safe to say this kind of performance from Ovechkin has been missed in Washington.
Ovechkin’s big day gives him eight goals on the season now and with his team seemingly starting to figure out how to play together, perhaps there’s more of this to come. Let’s not get too excited though, today’s win finally got the Caps out of last place in the NHL. Welcome to the basement, Buffalo.
Take a look at the goal Ovechkin scored to net him the hat trick. Also check out the save Hedberg makes to prevent him from scoring it sooner.
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 15
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 8
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)