Feb 23, 2013, 3:59 PM EDT
It’d been a while since Alex Ovechkin scored a hat trick in a game. Thankfully for him, the New Jersey Devils were able to help out this afternoon.
Ovechkin scored three times and added an assist in helping the Caps beat Johan Hedberg and the Devils 5-1 in Washington. As Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times shares, it was his first hat trick since January 22, 2011 and his first trick at home since February 7, 2010. Safe to say this kind of performance from Ovechkin has been missed in Washington.
Ovechkin’s big day gives him eight goals on the season now and with his team seemingly starting to figure out how to play together, perhaps there’s more of this to come. Let’s not get too excited though, today’s win finally got the Caps out of last place in the NHL. Welcome to the basement, Buffalo.
Take a look at the goal Ovechkin scored to net him the hat trick. Also check out the save Hedberg makes to prevent him from scoring it sooner.
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 1
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 8
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 14
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9