Feb 23, 2013, 3:59 PM EDT
It’d been a while since Alex Ovechkin scored a hat trick in a game. Thankfully for him, the New Jersey Devils were able to help out this afternoon.
Ovechkin scored three times and added an assist in helping the Caps beat Johan Hedberg and the Devils 5-1 in Washington. As Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times shares, it was his first hat trick since January 22, 2011 and his first trick at home since February 7, 2010. Safe to say this kind of performance from Ovechkin has been missed in Washington.
Ovechkin’s big day gives him eight goals on the season now and with his team seemingly starting to figure out how to play together, perhaps there’s more of this to come. Let’s not get too excited though, today’s win finally got the Caps out of last place in the NHL. Welcome to the basement, Buffalo.
Take a look at the goal Ovechkin scored to net him the hat trick. Also check out the save Hedberg makes to prevent him from scoring it sooner.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)