Feb 23, 2013, 3:59 PM EDT
It’d been a while since Alex Ovechkin scored a hat trick in a game. Thankfully for him, the New Jersey Devils were able to help out this afternoon.
Ovechkin scored three times and added an assist in helping the Caps beat Johan Hedberg and the Devils 5-1 in Washington. As Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times shares, it was his first hat trick since January 22, 2011 and his first trick at home since February 7, 2010. Safe to say this kind of performance from Ovechkin has been missed in Washington.
Ovechkin’s big day gives him eight goals on the season now and with his team seemingly starting to figure out how to play together, perhaps there’s more of this to come. Let’s not get too excited though, today’s win finally got the Caps out of last place in the NHL. Welcome to the basement, Buffalo.
Take a look at the goal Ovechkin scored to net him the hat trick. Also check out the save Hedberg makes to prevent him from scoring it sooner.
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 7
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 50
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)