Feb 23, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
Last night’s record-breaking win by the Blackhawks didn’t come without incident.
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, the NHL is looking into whether or not San Jose’s Ryane Clowe left the bench to engage Chicago’s Andrew Shaw after Shaw delivered a hit from behind on Sharks forward Joe Pavelski.
As CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers notes, there’s a suspension coming for Clowe if he is guilty of leaving the bench to start an altercation. Doing that comes with a 10-game suspension.
What the league will look at on this play is whether or not Clowe came over the boards on a legal line change. Considering Pavelski was nearly helped into the bench by Shaw, there’s some reasonable doubt.
Then again, why would a guy who has no goals be coming on the ice with under 30 seconds left to play with his team needing a score to tie it? That’ll be up to the league to decide.
UPDATE (4:26 p.m. ET): TSN’s Darren Dreger says the league has offered Clowe an in-person meeting on Monday to discuss what happened.
For now, check out the video courtesy of CSNChicago and judge for yourself.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)