Feb 23, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
Last night’s record-breaking win by the Blackhawks didn’t come without incident.
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, the NHL is looking into whether or not San Jose’s Ryane Clowe left the bench to engage Chicago’s Andrew Shaw after Shaw delivered a hit from behind on Sharks forward Joe Pavelski.
As CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers notes, there’s a suspension coming for Clowe if he is guilty of leaving the bench to start an altercation. Doing that comes with a 10-game suspension.
What the league will look at on this play is whether or not Clowe came over the boards on a legal line change. Considering Pavelski was nearly helped into the bench by Shaw, there’s some reasonable doubt.
Then again, why would a guy who has no goals be coming on the ice with under 30 seconds left to play with his team needing a score to tie it? That’ll be up to the league to decide.
UPDATE (4:26 p.m. ET): TSN’s Darren Dreger says the league has offered Clowe an in-person meeting on Monday to discuss what happened.
For now, check out the video courtesy of CSNChicago and judge for yourself.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)