Feb 23, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
Last night’s record-breaking win by the Blackhawks didn’t come without incident.
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, the NHL is looking into whether or not San Jose’s Ryane Clowe left the bench to engage Chicago’s Andrew Shaw after Shaw delivered a hit from behind on Sharks forward Joe Pavelski.
As CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers notes, there’s a suspension coming for Clowe if he is guilty of leaving the bench to start an altercation. Doing that comes with a 10-game suspension.
What the league will look at on this play is whether or not Clowe came over the boards on a legal line change. Considering Pavelski was nearly helped into the bench by Shaw, there’s some reasonable doubt.
Then again, why would a guy who has no goals be coming on the ice with under 30 seconds left to play with his team needing a score to tie it? That’ll be up to the league to decide.
UPDATE (4:26 p.m. ET): TSN’s Darren Dreger says the league has offered Clowe an in-person meeting on Monday to discuss what happened.
For now, check out the video courtesy of CSNChicago and judge for yourself.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 4
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 31
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)