Feb 23, 2013, 9:47 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins have a major star dealing with concussion symptoms and this time it’s not Sidney Crosby.
Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports defending NHL MVP Evgeni Malkin is dealing with symptoms including a “severe headache and mild disorientation” after his wicked collision with Florida’s Erik Gudbranson last night. They’re not anticipating that he’ll play tomorrow night and have no timetable for recovery.
This news is crushing for the Penguins for a multitude of reasons with the biggest being they know how long these kinds of issues can linger after seeing Crosby go through what he did for the better part of two seasons. While Crosby missed time, Malkin (and Jordan Staal) were able to lift their games so the team didn’t suffer badly without him.
Now it’s on Sid the Kid and Brandon Sutter to do the same for them while Malkin recovers, however long that turns out to be.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT
His play may wind up costing him a suspension.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Pittsburgh carries a 1-0 series lead into Saturday.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
Things changed fast late in the third period.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:11 PM EDT
His penalty got things going in the wrong direction for Chicago.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Apr 19, 2014, 5:34 PM EDT
Memo to players: wear a cup.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:08 PM EDT
His goal is the difference in the game through two.
Apr 19, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
He’s been out since March 29 with a knee injury.
Apr 19, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
He’s missed three games with an upper-body injury.
Apr 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
The Blackhawks look to head home with a split.
Apr 19, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
He’s aiming to return for Game 3 on Tuesday.
Apr 19, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
He avoided a suspension for the act.
Apr 19, 2014, 1:29 PM EDT
He’s been out since April 3.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:42 PM EDT
A fine may be in his future.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT
He missed Game 2 with an injury.
Apr 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Pulling the goalie with three minutes went over very well.
Apr 19, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Holding a lead is hard to do in the playoffs.
Apr 19, 2014, 1:57 AM EDT
“We should have been 5-on-3.”
Apr 19, 2014, 1:29 AM EDT
Ryan Getzlaf, Frederik Andersen and Corey Perry “are winning that battle,” he said.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:56 AM EDT
Eventful last few days for the captain.
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 0
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 12
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 58
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 33
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 56
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 57
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7