Feb 23, 2013, 11:41 PM EDT
An auction of memorabilia from Mike Eruzione’s run with the 1980 U.S. Olympic “Miracle on Ice” hockey team generated more than $1.3 million on Saturday, according to the Associated Press.
The jersey he wore in that famous win against the Soviet Union was the big ticket item at almost $660K, but other items really drove up the total:
Spirited bidding drove the value of the hockey stick to $262,900, more than five times the $50,000 it was expected to go for as a 9-year-old boy and his father outbid others, earning a high-five slap and a hug for the youth from Eruzione himself.
Gloves he wore throughout the Olympic tournament sold for $53,775, more than 10 times their pre-auction estimates. The blue jersey the team’s captain wore to win the gold against Finland fetched $286,800. Even his warm-up suit sold for $26,290 while his red pants went for $28,680.
The 58-year-old icon insists that he didn’t auction the items off because of money problems. Instead, he intends to leave behind a nice “nest egg” for his family and also expects to benefit the charitable Winthorp Foundation.
There’s at least one item Eruzione wasn’t willing to part with, though.
“As long as I’m alive, the gold medal won’t be sold,” Eruzione said.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Recovering from a lower body injury.
Oct 30, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
Nice feed to Kunitz
Oct 30, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Two big boys land some pretty good shots.
Oct 30, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
Abdominal injury hits the center once again.
Oct 30, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
Adds depth as Toronto travels to Columbus.
Oct 30, 2014, 5:24 PM EDT
“I don’t know too many people who jump into the league at 19 (years old) and are playing 22 minutes a night, it just doesn’t really happen.”
Oct 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Sophomore winger inching closer to a return.
Oct 30, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT
We debate — Buffalo or Carolina?
Oct 30, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Played just 5:46 Tuesday in Calgary.
Oct 30, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
All the news and notes from around the crease…
Oct 30, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Which is important, because good defensive teams win Stanley Cups.
Oct 30, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
For the EIHL’s Belfast Giants.
Oct 30, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Just one point in his last five games.
Oct 30, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
Click for video proof.
Oct 30, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT
St. Louis’ health woes continue.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:52 PM EDT
“So we need to get better or things are going to change around here probably sooner rather than later.”
Oct 30, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
We should find out after tonight’s game.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:13 PM EDT
Winnipeg’s won three of its last four.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
He appeared in 36 games last year.
Oct 30, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
If you’re curious what a buyout would cost the Wings, click on the post.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 3
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 23
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)