Feb 22, 2013, 9:37 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins forward Evgeni Malkin left tonight’s game against the Florida Panthers after taking a heavy hit into the end boards.
Malkin went sliding into the boards after coming together with Panthers defenseman Erik Gudbranson less than five minutes into the third period. Malkin was attended to by a member of the Penguins training staff before leaving the ice and going to the dressing room.
Malkin added an assist on a Chris Kunitz goal in the second period. For Malkin, it was his 17th helper of the season. The Penguins went on to defeat the Panthers 3-1.
Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma offered this update following the game:
“He’s getting further evaluated this evening; we’ll know more tomorrow,” he told NHL.com.
The Penguins also sent out an official update, reiterating Bylsma’s comments to the media.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)