Feb 22, 2013, 8:01 AM EDT
The Dallas Stars were forced to start the season without Jamie Benn because they couldn’t agree to terms in time. Eventually Dallas inked him to a five-year, $26.25 million contract and the 23-year-old immediately went to work proving he’s worth that deal.
To get a glimpse of what he’s capable of, just look at him skate around the Vancouver Canucks to score the opening goal Thursday night:
The Canucks battled back to earn a 4-3 victory to improve to 9-3-4 this season. Dallas is 8-8-1, which puts them in a tie for ninth place in the Western Conference.
Benn now has five goals and 10 points in his last eight games and has already tied Jaromir Jagr for the team’s scoring lead despite the handicap of having missed five of the Stars’ 17 contests.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 16
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 14
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5