Feb 22, 2013, 8:01 AM EDT
The Dallas Stars were forced to start the season without Jamie Benn because they couldn’t agree to terms in time. Eventually Dallas inked him to a five-year, $26.25 million contract and the 23-year-old immediately went to work proving he’s worth that deal.
To get a glimpse of what he’s capable of, just look at him skate around the Vancouver Canucks to score the opening goal Thursday night:
The Canucks battled back to earn a 4-3 victory to improve to 9-3-4 this season. Dallas is 8-8-1, which puts them in a tie for ninth place in the Western Conference.
Benn now has five goals and 10 points in his last eight games and has already tied Jaromir Jagr for the team’s scoring lead despite the handicap of having missed five of the Stars’ 17 contests.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabres in franchise history 0
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 4
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17