Feb 22, 2013, 8:01 AM EDT
The Dallas Stars were forced to start the season without Jamie Benn because they couldn’t agree to terms in time. Eventually Dallas inked him to a five-year, $26.25 million contract and the 23-year-old immediately went to work proving he’s worth that deal.
To get a glimpse of what he’s capable of, just look at him skate around the Vancouver Canucks to score the opening goal Thursday night:
The Canucks battled back to earn a 4-3 victory to improve to 9-3-4 this season. Dallas is 8-8-1, which puts them in a tie for ninth place in the Western Conference.
Benn now has five goals and 10 points in his last eight games and has already tied Jaromir Jagr for the team’s scoring lead despite the handicap of having missed five of the Stars’ 17 contests.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 9
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 19
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 24
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 40
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 64
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (150)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (102)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)