Setoguchi on Hall’s hit: ‘If that’s not a suspension, I don’t know what is’

Feb 22, 2013, 12:40 AM EDT

devinsetoguchi2getty Getty Images

While Jordan Eberle stood up for Edmonton Oilers teammate Taylor Hall regarding his hit on Cal Clutterbuck, the Minnesota Wild aired their grievances after a 3-1 win on Thursday.

Winger Devin Setoguchi‘s take was simple and sharp, via Michael Russo of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune:

“If that’s not a suspension, I don’t know what is,” Setoguchi said.

Wild head coach Mike Yeo seemed livid as well, claiming that Hall, 21, wasn’t even looking for the puck. Instead, Yeo claims that Hall had the look of “a guy trying to hurt someone.”

Yeo didn’t get into specifics about Clutterbuck, 25, other than describing him as hurt.

Hall received a game misconduct and five-minute major penalty for kneeing. We’ll see if the NHL feels like he deserves further punishment on top of that. (The Wild certainly believe so.)

Check out video of the hit in this post.

1. lordfletcher - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:49 AM

my main issue of the check isn’t how Taylor stuck his leg out (slightly, very slightly) … its that he didn’t lay up when he knew Clutterbuck didn’t have the puck. Hall was never playing the puck, he was playing Clutterbuck and was going to make the check no matter what, but could have changed his check before making contact with leg – leg, should have been body to body.

Dirty, yes… more wreckless than anything

• lordfletcher - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:53 AM

*** reckless

ugh

• rsmaggiemae - Feb 23, 2013 at 12:01 AM

The Oilers come to St Paul next weekend…. I am sure Hall will be greeted very loudly and I would hate to be him on the ice…. Glad Clutterbuck is not hurt too badly, but it was a very dirty hit… and useless…. there was no point for the hit…
      During the lockout, Hall played in the AHL and he played against the Wilds farm team the Houston Aeros, and he broke Jonas Brodin;s clavicle and Brodin could not make the trip up to the NHL for months due to this injury… Does Hall have something against the Wild organization????? I dont think so, but it is very sad for such a young talented player to have to resort to this kind of play…

2. billymccloskey - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Dirty hit. I bet if clutter hurt hall in a check like that the suspension would be double what hall will get

3. valoisvipers - Feb 22, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I think it is the fact that Clutterbuck had the puck bounce by him is what led to whole late hit issue in the first place. I also feel that the Old style Barcley Plager hip check is now illegal in today’s NHL. I did not see this as a knee on knee hit but agree that a 5 minute major for a low hit was warranted but I do not for see a suspension for Hall being a star player and a fine will be coming his way. He will then have used up his first offense exemption.

4. mnrube23 - Feb 22, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Not sure if this statement holds water but…Didn’t another member of the Oilers charge a Wild a few mins before this hit? (I hear the game though the radio because Mn doesn’t have the games on basic tv. State of hockey my A**)

• lordfletcher - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I don’t think it was a charge but it was a borderline hit (something you really shouldn’t do anyways) but Eager hit Brodin against the board.

• lordfletcher - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM

State of Hockey has nothing to do with the business of the NHL and one team… I would assume most games in the NHL are not broadcasted on local TV in the states.

You can thank dancing with the stars or Idol for that (higher ratings). Seeing as you don’t have cable or satellite, can you really complain? Go to a bar then

• rsmaggiemae - Feb 23, 2013 at 12:06 AM

It is sad that the State of Hockey does not have the games on basic tv… along with the Gophers hockey team, I have cable… but its spendy…,
      I was disappointed about the Hockey day in the US that they did not show our hockey programs here in Minn- nothing, I watched a show about the hockey program in Long Isand and there state tournament and they thought 2000 fans was a huge turnout, when we have over 110,000 fans for our hockey high school tournament…what shame that NBC did nothing about the State of Hockey, they could have showed Hockey Day in Minn up in Grand Rapids on Lake Pokegema… or anything… very sad

Top 10 NHL Player Searches