Ruff thinks ‘better days are right around the corner’ for Sabres

Feb 22, 2013, 12:18 PM EDT

lindyruff

Two days after being fired as head coach of the Sabres, an emotional Lindy Ruff addressed the media this morning in Buffalo.

Ruff thanked everyone from ownership, past and present, to the players and, “most important,” the fans — “the people that have made this place real special for myself, my family. The fans in Western New York are number one.”

When asked about his future, Ruff offered no specifics, but confirmed he wants to keep coaching.

“I miss it already,” he said.

“I gotta keep going. I love the game.”

As for the struggling Sabres?

“They’re working hard at it,” Ruff said. “I feel their pain. … I think better days are right around the corner.”

1. prosportswashington - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I dont know how Buffalo escapes the same criticism that Washington gets; Buffalo haven’t been a consistent team in a while and have done very little to change it, yet Washington is “dysfunctional”, labelled as chokers and everyone goes after the GM…?

• tmoore4075 - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Expectations. Caps were consistently a top 3 team in the East for a few years and couldn’t get out of round 2. Then the last couple of years have gone downhill. The Sabres haven’t been at the top since 07. Fair or unfair expectations play into it. Pens and Jackets could have the same record and Pens would get more heat.

• buddysguys - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:03 PM

washington is a little bigger city than buffalo….that may have something to do with it.

2. islesjb - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:36 PM

We would happily accept you in Long Island.

• rochockey11 - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Brad Boyes wouldn’t…

3. skoobyfl - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Ruff isn’t the guy to ask about how Buffalo is going to play at anypoint in the near future.

4. valoisvipers - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Ruff won’t sit on the shelf for long and someone will have their self a great coach.Ring Ring….Lindy,San Jose is calling

5. thedavesiknowiknow - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Who dat?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches
  1. S. Bennett (1303)
  2. N. Niederreiter (1130)
  3. S. Crosby (1126)