Feb 22, 2013, 2:38 PM EDT
The concern over the health of Rangers winger Rick Nash grew on Friday with news that New York wouldn’t bring him to Montreal for Saturday’s game against the Canadiens — meaning Nash will miss a third consecutive game with an undisclosed injury.
Nash hasn’t played since Sunday’s 2-1 win over Washington. He was listed as questionable for the game, but participated in the warmup and proceeded to play a whopping 22:33, recording one assist and a game-high eight shots on goal.
Prior to the Caps game, Rangers head coach John Tortorella was pressed on exactly what Nash’s injury was.
“None of your business,” he told ESPN’s Katie Strang.
More, from Brooks:
The Rangers aren’t saying anything about the condition of Nash, who played two days after taking the unpenalized hit and then again three days after that despite a couple of days that we know of, when he wasn’t feeling well.
No one is saying whether No. 61 is suffering post-concussion symptoms. Perhaps more to the point, no one is saying he isn’t.
“I’m just trying to fore-check and do my job. I’m just trying to do what I get paid to do. I don’t hit dirty,” Lucic said. “I’ve had one [supplemental discipline] call about a hit in my six years so far. So you can criticize me if you want, but whatever.
I’ve had dings where little guys have hit me too, but I was fortunate that I didn’t have to miss any time. If I targeted the head then the league would have been looking at it very closely.
We’ve got our own team here and our own things to worry about.”
Here’s video of the Lucic-Nash hit:
There’s still no word on what Nash’s injury is, or if there’s a timetable for him to rejoin the team.
After Saturday’s game in Montreal, the Rangers will return to Madison Square Garden for a four-game homestand against the Jets, lightning, Sabres and Flyers.
In related news, the Rangers said there’ll be no update on injured defenseman Michael Del Zotto today. The club has recalled Steve Eminger from AHL Connecticut.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)