Feb 22, 2013, 2:38 PM EDT
The concern over the health of Rangers winger Rick Nash grew on Friday with news that New York wouldn’t bring him to Montreal for Saturday’s game against the Canadiens — meaning Nash will miss a third consecutive game with an undisclosed injury.
Nash hasn’t played since Sunday’s 2-1 win over Washington. He was listed as questionable for the game, but participated in the warmup and proceeded to play a whopping 22:33, recording one assist and a game-high eight shots on goal.
Prior to the Caps game, Rangers head coach John Tortorella was pressed on exactly what Nash’s injury was.
“None of your business,” he told ESPN’s Katie Strang.
More, from Brooks:
The Rangers aren’t saying anything about the condition of Nash, who played two days after taking the unpenalized hit and then again three days after that despite a couple of days that we know of, when he wasn’t feeling well.
No one is saying whether No. 61 is suffering post-concussion symptoms. Perhaps more to the point, no one is saying he isn’t.
“I’m just trying to fore-check and do my job. I’m just trying to do what I get paid to do. I don’t hit dirty,” Lucic said. “I’ve had one [supplemental discipline] call about a hit in my six years so far. So you can criticize me if you want, but whatever.
I’ve had dings where little guys have hit me too, but I was fortunate that I didn’t have to miss any time. If I targeted the head then the league would have been looking at it very closely.
We’ve got our own team here and our own things to worry about.”
Here’s video of the Lucic-Nash hit:
There’s still no word on what Nash’s injury is, or if there’s a timetable for him to rejoin the team.
After Saturday’s game in Montreal, the Rangers will return to Madison Square Garden for a four-game homestand against the Jets, lightning, Sabres and Flyers.
In related news, the Rangers said there’ll be no update on injured defenseman Michael Del Zotto today. The club has recalled Steve Eminger from AHL Connecticut.
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 5
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 13
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12