Feb 22, 2013, 11:29 PM EST
Florida Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen apparently didn’t like the officiating in Friday’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins, and he let his feelings known.
Dineen ripped into the officials, particularly when it came to the Penguins’ second goal – off the stick of defenseman Matt Niskanen – in the early stages of the third period. Here’s a quick timeline of events: Panthers winger Tomas Kopecky was called for slashing Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury. Shortly after the ensuing power play ended, Niskanen scored to give Pittsburgh its first lead of the hockey game.
The Penguins went on to win 3-1.
According to Miami Herald sports report George Richards, Dineen was upset because earlier in the game Penguins’ forward Chris Kunitz escaped the wrath of the officials for whacking Florida goalie Jacob Markstrom, yet Kopecky was called for a similar infraction, leading to the winning goal.
“It’s frustrating, certainly when the game was decided on the tempo and that penalty was big at the end,” Dineen told the Miami Herald, “especially since there was a non-call for us when a guy attacks Gudbranson after a clean hit. And then they score a goal when they whack at our goalie three times.
“Our guy goes down and he doesn’t blow the whistle. It’s a tough one to take, but that’s the nature of it. You have to understand where your place is and just go out and play the game.”
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)