Feb 22, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
The more Roberto Luongo talks, the more it seems plausible he could remain a member of the Vancouver Canucks.
Luongo — who many figured would be playing elsewhere by now — sat down this week with Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy for an exclusive interview in which the 33-year-old goalie spoke about what “could’ve been a pretty messy situation,” only for things to turn out quite differently.
“I’m happy things have the gone the way they have,” Luongo said. “We don’t know where the future’s going to go, but one thing’s for sure, I’m having fun playing the game. I love Vancouver, and right now we’re winning games and it’s fun to be here.”
Luongo is 4-0-3 with a 1.63 goals-against average and .934 save percentage, superior numbers than the goalie who was supposed to have supplanted him, Cory Schneider (5-3-1, 2.69, .912).
“At the end of the day, like I said back in May, I just want to do what’s best for the team,” Luongo said. “No doubt I would love to have another chance to win a Stanley Cup in Vancouver, but I put my faith in [general manager Mike Gillis’s] hands, and he’ll do whatever is best for this team.”
Luongo added: “I’ve always wanted to win. A Stanley Cup is pretty much the only thing that’s missing right now. There wouldn’t be anything sweeter than to win it here, but at the end of the day, it’s not really my call.”
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 25
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 37
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 7
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)