Feb 22, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
The more Roberto Luongo talks, the more it seems plausible he could remain a member of the Vancouver Canucks.
Luongo — who many figured would be playing elsewhere by now — sat down this week with Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy for an exclusive interview in which the 33-year-old goalie spoke about what “could’ve been a pretty messy situation,” only for things to turn out quite differently.
“I’m happy things have the gone the way they have,” Luongo said. “We don’t know where the future’s going to go, but one thing’s for sure, I’m having fun playing the game. I love Vancouver, and right now we’re winning games and it’s fun to be here.”
Luongo is 4-0-3 with a 1.63 goals-against average and .934 save percentage, superior numbers than the goalie who was supposed to have supplanted him, Cory Schneider (5-3-1, 2.69, .912).
“At the end of the day, like I said back in May, I just want to do what’s best for the team,” Luongo said. “No doubt I would love to have another chance to win a Stanley Cup in Vancouver, but I put my faith in [general manager Mike Gillis's] hands, and he’ll do whatever is best for this team.”
Luongo added: “I’ve always wanted to win. A Stanley Cup is pretty much the only thing that’s missing right now. There wouldn’t be anything sweeter than to win it here, but at the end of the day, it’s not really my call.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 5
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 85
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (85)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)