Feb 22, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
The more Roberto Luongo talks, the more it seems plausible he could remain a member of the Vancouver Canucks.
Luongo — who many figured would be playing elsewhere by now — sat down this week with Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy for an exclusive interview in which the 33-year-old goalie spoke about what “could’ve been a pretty messy situation,” only for things to turn out quite differently.
“I’m happy things have the gone the way they have,” Luongo said. “We don’t know where the future’s going to go, but one thing’s for sure, I’m having fun playing the game. I love Vancouver, and right now we’re winning games and it’s fun to be here.”
Luongo is 4-0-3 with a 1.63 goals-against average and .934 save percentage, superior numbers than the goalie who was supposed to have supplanted him, Cory Schneider (5-3-1, 2.69, .912).
“At the end of the day, like I said back in May, I just want to do what’s best for the team,” Luongo said. “No doubt I would love to have another chance to win a Stanley Cup in Vancouver, but I put my faith in [general manager Mike Gillis's] hands, and he’ll do whatever is best for this team.”
Luongo added: “I’ve always wanted to win. A Stanley Cup is pretty much the only thing that’s missing right now. There wouldn’t be anything sweeter than to win it here, but at the end of the day, it’s not really my call.”
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 141
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 116
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (143)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (116)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)