Feb 22, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
The more Roberto Luongo talks, the more it seems plausible he could remain a member of the Vancouver Canucks.
Luongo — who many figured would be playing elsewhere by now — sat down this week with Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy for an exclusive interview in which the 33-year-old goalie spoke about what “could’ve been a pretty messy situation,” only for things to turn out quite differently.
“I’m happy things have the gone the way they have,” Luongo said. “We don’t know where the future’s going to go, but one thing’s for sure, I’m having fun playing the game. I love Vancouver, and right now we’re winning games and it’s fun to be here.”
Luongo is 4-0-3 with a 1.63 goals-against average and .934 save percentage, superior numbers than the goalie who was supposed to have supplanted him, Cory Schneider (5-3-1, 2.69, .912).
“At the end of the day, like I said back in May, I just want to do what’s best for the team,” Luongo said. “No doubt I would love to have another chance to win a Stanley Cup in Vancouver, but I put my faith in [general manager Mike Gillis’s] hands, and he’ll do whatever is best for this team.”
Luongo added: “I’ve always wanted to win. A Stanley Cup is pretty much the only thing that’s missing right now. There wouldn’t be anything sweeter than to win it here, but at the end of the day, it’s not really my call.”
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11