Feb 22, 2013, 5:45 PM EDT
The more Roberto Luongo talks, the more it seems plausible he could remain a member of the Vancouver Canucks.
Luongo — who many figured would be playing elsewhere by now — sat down this week with Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy for an exclusive interview in which the 33-year-old goalie spoke about what “could’ve been a pretty messy situation,” only for things to turn out quite differently.
“I’m happy things have the gone the way they have,” Luongo said. “We don’t know where the future’s going to go, but one thing’s for sure, I’m having fun playing the game. I love Vancouver, and right now we’re winning games and it’s fun to be here.”
Luongo is 4-0-3 with a 1.63 goals-against average and .934 save percentage, superior numbers than the goalie who was supposed to have supplanted him, Cory Schneider (5-3-1, 2.69, .912).
“At the end of the day, like I said back in May, I just want to do what’s best for the team,” Luongo said. “No doubt I would love to have another chance to win a Stanley Cup in Vancouver, but I put my faith in [general manager Mike Gillis's] hands, and he’ll do whatever is best for this team.”
Luongo added: “I’ve always wanted to win. A Stanley Cup is pretty much the only thing that’s missing right now. There wouldn’t be anything sweeter than to win it here, but at the end of the day, it’s not really my call.”
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)