Feb 22, 2013, 4:52 PM EST
The Winnipeg Jets will likely be without the services of defenseman Zach Redmond for the remainder of the season after the defenseman suffered a serious skate cut prior to Thursday’s game in Carolina.
That said, Redmond’s situation could be much worse.
The 24-year-old suffered a lacerated femoral artery and lost nearly two pints of blood, according to Jets head athletic therapist Rob Milette.
“I’ve been doing this for 12 years and that’s easily the most grave incident I’ve been a part of, for sure,” Milette told the Winnipeg Sun. “Surgery went well. There were a lot of blood vessels that needed repair, along with all the surrounding tissue, the muscles.
“He’s doing well right now and we can only hope his recovery will be as good as the surgery went.”
Redmond was cut during the morning skate by teammate Antti Miettinen, who actually skated over the back of the fallen Redmond’s leg during a drill.
The scene on the ice was disturbing, to say the least.
Milette was quick to praise Jets assistant coach Perry Pearn for minimizing Redmond’s blood loss by using his jacket as a tourniquet, and said Redmond’s ability to stay conscious prevented the situation from being far worse.
Which, apparently, it could’ve been.
“[Redmond] did a great job,” said Milette. “If he had been unconscious, then you get into a scenario where you might need to get a defibrillator on him to get him going. He lost a lot of blood there, so his heart was definitely struggling. We were monitoring his vitals, checking his pulse and his pulse was really weak and really slow.
“He was pale and he was telling us he was getting thirsty.”
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 13
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 15
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)