Erik Karlsson blames season-ending injury on Cooke

Feb 22, 2013, 10:25 AM EST

erikkarlssoninjuryap AP

As he spoke to reporters on Friday, Norris Trophy-winning defenseman Erik Karlsson seemed conflicted exactly how much Pittsburgh Penguins forward Matt Cooke was to blame for his season-ending injury.

Karlsson, 22, needed surgery to after Cooke’s skate sliced his Achilles tendon and Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray doesn’t expect him to return in 2013.

“He knows exactly what he’s doing out there,” Karlsson said, according to Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes. “And that’s why I’m sitting here in a cast.”

And yet, Karlsson pulled back from saying that Cooke’s actions were entirely intentional, “I don’t think he did it on purpose … He meant to hit me hard and knock me out.”

Karlsson added: “I don’t think his intention was to cut me with his skate. I refuse to believe that anyone would do that.”

Senators owner Eugene Melnyk was “outraged” over the incident and while Cooke wasn’t punished by the NHL, Melnyk wants him booted from the league.

For his part, Cooke called it “a freak, unfortunate accident” and reached out to Karlsson via a text message.

Karlsson didn’t reply. “We have nothing to say to each other.”

The Senators defenseman added that this isn’t the first time Cooke has gone after him, according to the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch.

“At least he reached out which I didn’t expect,” Karlsson added. “We’re going to leave it at that.”

Related:

Video: Karlsson needs help off ice after collision with Cooke

Don Cherry: Penguins’ Cooke didn’t try to injure Senators’ Karlsson

Cooke on Karlsson hit: ‘I didn’t even know what happened’

109 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. bgrillz - Feb 22, 2013 at 10:31 AM

The must have secret intent-o-meters up there in Ottawa, because everyone outside of Ottawa disagress.

• travishenryskid - Feb 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Not true.

• gospitfires - Feb 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM

ive hated matt cooke since he played for the Spits years ago, but the “hit and pin” happens atleast a dozen times every game, a fluke injury happened, get over it and have try to explain to the ottawa management group that injuries happen in this game. not every play that results in a injury is a Bertuzzi/Moore incident.

• itripledogdareyou - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I’m a Pens fan but I understand Ottawa’s reaction, especially their management team. Losing their best player that may affect if they make the playoffs is tough for any team. I also completely understand Karlsson’s reaction. He suffers a painful injury and is knocked out for the season – he’s a competitor so he’s going to be upset.

I love Matt Cooke when he plays disciplined but I can’t stand when he’s just a goon out there. I don’t want opposing players behaving that way and I have the same expectation for “my team”. While I don’t think Cooke did this intentionally, his reputation certainly doesn’t help the situation.

• 950003cups - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM

AWWWW!!!! How cute! Look at all the douchy Pens fans sticking up for that worthless turd. LOL!!

• pens5829 - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Look no further than your mirror if you’re looking for a turd.

• hockeywithdrawal - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:45 PM

He’s right, cups, you are a turd.

• Jack Bauer 24 - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Ottawa do nothing but whine about their misfortune over the years… face it they arent an elite franchise, never have been, never will be.

• jb8383 - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Whether or not they are an elite team has NO relevance in this situation. So, if it were reversed and this happened to the Pens, and let’s say Malkin or Crosby or whoever, had their Achilles sliced and season ended by a total goon player, you think then it would be ok for them “whine about their misfortune” because they are “elite”? I guarantee the Pens and all their fans would be crying about it if it were a player on their team.

• whosennext - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM

As far as your comment goes jb8383, Erik Karlsson is an elite player as he proved by be selected the 2012 winner of the James Norris Memorial Trophy as the NHL’s best defenseman. As someone else mentioned earlier, Matt Cooke’s reputation is what you are judging him from, and he is no longer that same player. I also believe the other night a player from Ottawa made a cheap play on another player, David Dziurzynski or Chris Neil after the pair nailed Devils forward Ryan Carter into the glass during the Sens’ 2-1 shootout win on Monday. I guess it is ok for your players to be goons.

• jb8383 - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:29 PM

First of all, I am a actually a huge DEVILS fan! Not an Ottawa fan at all! And I didn’t say Karlsson wasn’t an elite player, I think he is. I was just trying to make the point that whether or not it’s an “elite” player or team, it doesn’t matter.

• jb8383 - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM

oh and yes I did think the hit on Carter and in the same game another slash on Elias was very questionable. I’m not saying that Ottawa always plays perfect. I was just talking about this specific play on Karlsson.

• whosennext - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM

If the NHL thought for a minute that the Matt Cooke incident with Erik Karlsson was dirty, they would have suspended him longer then the last dirty hit he made, which I am certain most Pens fans would have supported. Being a Pens fan, I can assure you, most wanted him cut from the team if he did not change his game up. Despite my loyalty to the Pens, I have not trouble watching and supporting a hard hitting game, and even when the Pens make a controversial hit, I am all for them being disciplined just as I do when it is another teams player. That being said, Matt Cooke has cleaned up his game surprisingly to many Pens fans and his game is much better then it was when he was playing the role of a goon.

• jb8383 - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:14 PM

That’s fair. I have no problem with a hard hitting game either. But, I hate seeing a good player have his season ended over a hard hit or whatever you want to call it.

• whosennext - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I agree with that as well. From what is being said, many players do that same hit on any given night. Maybe the NHL needs to examine the play and make a change in pay to refrain from being allowed to do it. I would not object to that being tweaked. Unfortunately, in all rules, the referees don’t always make the call on both teams during a game, which to me is a big problem.

• jb8383 - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Agreed. It’s very frustrating to watch when the calls are inconsistent.

• hockeyfan1ya - Feb 28, 2013 at 10:47 AM

By the way Ottawa is an elite team they are place fifth in the eastern conference and sixth in the league with their top players injured Spezza, Karlsson, Michalek, and Anderson. That is their top center, top defenseman, top left wing, and top goaltender all injured.

2. tsi431 - Feb 22, 2013 at 10:31 AM

WAAAAAAA, cry me a river you whiner. Grow up.

• sabatimus - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Oh please. He said he didn’t believe it was Cooke’s intention to cut him. Accident or not, the reason Karlsson is out is due to Cooke, period.

• tatdue - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Karlsson is out is due to not wearing the proper equipment (Kevlar socks), period….

• davebabychreturns - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:29 AM

He still would likely be injured.

I don’t think you can have your achilles tendon bear 200 lbs spread across an area the width of a skate blade and not have it cause injury… it’s just unlikely that it would have been cut or would be facing such an arduous rehabilitation at this point.

• crosberries - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Does it take a doctor 200 lbs of pressure to do surgery with a razor blade? People act like the human body is impenetrable. It’s a razor and flesh. Quit acting like there needed to be a ton of pressure for this to happen. He should be going back there to hit you hard moron your the teams best defense and the same thing happens to letang to try to slow him down.

• davebabychreturns - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM

@crosberries, I don’t know if you’re replying to me but because you mentioned the “200 lbs of pressure” comment derisively directly below my post…

My point is simply that no protective equipment worn by any NHL player today would have prevented Karlsson from suffering some kind of injury on that play, and that’s fine because s*** happens in hockey and this time it was just a tough break for him.

The kevlar sock would have prevented the cut but not the injury in its entirety. Because it’s 200lbs and as you said it’s a blade on flesh.. it’s going to do damage whether your skin (and muscle and tendon) gets opened up or not.

• crosberries - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Your right misread by me

• crosberries - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Your right misread by me but people are still acting like he stomped down

• nosefacekillah - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:35 PM

The Penguins are simply the dirtiest team in the league and have been so for decades. They have employed some of the dirtiest cheap shot artists to every play the game. From Ulf Samuelsson to Darius Kasparaitis to the worse yet, Matt Cooke. The have long ago forfeited any presumption of innocence.

Any respect they earn is lost when the clown in ownership threatens to take his puck and go home whenever a call goes against the penguins. Mario cries foul on a check against Crosby but is silent as his players and teammates end careers year after year.

This is one rotten organization.

• elvispocomo - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Again, so ironic. Right in front of your face.

I do agree they have some people who have been very dirty (how does Malkin get away with what he does?!) but that can be said about a number of teams. You should be able to at least respect they’ve gone out of their way to tell Cooke to clean up his act and he’s been much better as a result in recent years.

• nosefacekillah - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:00 PM

elvispocomo, recent YEARS?? Really? He played 1 year without a suspension! I don’t need my hands or feet to count that high!

He was suspended for the end of the 2010-11 season, played in 2011-12 incident free and played 14 games this year before ending a much better players season. He could not even string 100 games together with stomping on Karlssons ankle. He was not suspended because intent could not be proven but everyone knows Cooke is a filthy player and has no business in the NHL but the hypocrites in Pittsburgh turn a blind eye to him.

• chanceoffleury1 - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Mario personally sat Matt Cooke down and told him that if he didn’t change his game he would not be in a Penguin uniform anymore. And Cooke did just that. He hasn’t had a major penalty called against him since the 2011 suspension. I don’t know what else people want Mario to do. Just because he doesn’t make asinine, emotional statements to the media after his players get hurt doesn’t mean he isn’t doing anything to try and change it. It means he’s smart enough to not speak out of emotion.

• nosefacekillah - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Mario “doesn’t make asinine, emotional statements” HA!

“The NHL had a chance to send a clear and strong message that those kinds of actions are unacceptable and embarrassing to the sport. It failed.” This after the Penguins goon it up on LI with players leaving the bench to join the brawl.

“If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to rethink whether I want to be a part of it.” Mario threatens to take his puck home (again!!) and play with himself. Just go already.

In 1992 he had called the NHL a “garage league,” during a rant about being checked during a game. A league that has made him a very rich man. Why not go play in Europe? $$$$

If Mario was as serious about cleaning up the game as he is about lining his pockets he would have cut ties with Cooke. He has been suspended 5 times (no punishment for ending Savards career) and has dozen of other dirty hits. Mario is the biggest hypocrite in the NHL.

• pens5829 - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Right? Another intelligent post… Are you related to 950003cups?

• whiskytango333 - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Nosefacekillah, you lost whatever credibilty you had when you said the Penguins gooned it up in that islanders game. Go watch the highlights again, and focus on Trevor Gillies. Marios response was in relation to his actions in particular, amongst other goon tatics employed by the Islanders that night.

• johninpa - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Noseface, rather than try to convince you that the Penguins aren’t dirty, can you tell me what teams are perfectly clean? It’s hockey – play hard, hit hard, fight if you have to, and so on. There are plenty of clean players out there that would be happy to knock you into next week if they could. I don’t consider Chara a dirty player, but he did break a player’s neck. It’s hockey. Should we put skirts on them and tell them to play nice. The games changing, and it should, but your claims are just plain crap.

• nosefacekillah - Feb 22, 2013 at 8:56 PM

JohninPA, I agree no team is 100% clean. Last night with Hall is a great example. A play that turned into a dirty play but I do not believe there was malice to start with.

The problem I have is the Penguins have a history of employing dirty players and a history of Mario whining about dirty play. You can’t have it both ways.

Last years series with Philly showed that the Penguins still head hunt. Cooke is by far the dirtiest player in the league but the Penguins keep him in the line up. It is not like he brings anything extra to the table than any other 3rd liner out there. He is simply there to intimidate because the opposition does not want to be the next Savard or now, Karlsson.

There is a reason the Penguins are one of the most despised organizations in sports and it is not because they win. If that was true, Detroit would hold that honor. But Detroit is universally respected and admired. I understand you are a fan but think about how the team appears to those outside Pittsburgh.

And Whiskey, yes the Islanders where just as bad as Pittsburgh if not worse. But no one in that game was contending for the Lady Byng.

3. sportsfreak13 - Feb 22, 2013 at 10:32 AM

He also is quoted as saying ” but i dont think his intention was to cut me with his skate, I refuse to believe that”. Talk about your mixed signals.

• travishenryskid - Feb 22, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Not really. He meant to throw a cheap shot, it ended up being a disaster. He didn’t mean for it to be a disaster. Unintended consequences of a dirty play.

• sportsfreak13 - Feb 22, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Really what cheap shot was he intending to throw? A head shot (he was no where close)? A slew foot ( His arms and stick were in the air)? What evidence is there that matt cooke was trying to throw a cheap shot on that play.

• aso513 - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Travis, you are a simpleton.

• sabatimus - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:45 AM

What cheap shot? He chopped down on Karlsson’s Achilles. Cooke found a way to be dirty without seeming to most people to be dirty. The other night Johnny Boychuck’s skate came up in a similar fashion on a very similar check, but you know where Boychuck’s raised skate went? Back onto the ice. You’re going to tell me that Cooke, with 14 seasons under his belt and plenty of them when he was a dirty player, couldn’t merely have put his blade back onto the ice?

• pens919209 - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Please explain to me how it’s a cheap shot to pin a guy against the boards while fighting for a puck.

• sabatimus - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:12 PM

pens, it’s not. But it is a cheap shot to chop down on someone’s Achilles with your skate blade while doing it.

4. scionofflame - Feb 22, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Everyone in Ottawa will say that. Because no one likes the idea that he’s injured, and certainly not Karlsson himself.

League doesn’t believe it, and that means Karlsson’s opinion of it doesn’t mean a whole bloody lot.

• davebabychreturns - Feb 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Yep. Kid must be absolutely gutted at the prospect of a year or so of rehab and work just to get back to where he was a week ago, so I can understand the urge to point fingers (especially when the club’s owner is doing the same).

That being said if there’s one think Erik Karlsson should be pissed off about, it’s that he passed on using a piece of equipment that would have significantly reduced the severity of his injury.

5. ironcity6pak - Feb 22, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Grow up and get over your self you D Bag!

6. theiss64 - Feb 22, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I get it, he’s mad that his season is over…as he should be. But lets be honest…it is nearly impossible at the speed these players are going to have the accuracy and timing to do something like this intentionally.

Karlsson, Murray, and Melnyk are delusional. The rest of the hockey world can see it was accidental, including a huge portion of Ottawa.

Sac up #65, be a man, and admit when you are wrong. That goes for Murray and Melnyk, the Waaambulace drivers too.

7. jpelle82 - Feb 22, 2013 at 10:44 AM

a little maturity goes a long way, no need for any comment really from him. he should be pissed at himself for not wearing kevlar though, not cooke.

8. nygdriveforfive - Feb 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM

@ travishenryskid
    I couldn’t agree more.

• crosberries - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Go back to watching football then

9. pepper2011 - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Yeah – as a B’s fan it’s tough to defend Cooke, but if he “wanted to hit him hard, and knock me out” he wouldn’t have soften the blow by raising his leg. He would have run full speed into him. It actually was the right play. It happens 5 times a game. He used leverage and drove him into the boards; he got his elbow in front of Karlsson’s head and didn’t run him. I hate cooke, but if you watch this at full speed; there is NO WAY he could have done that intentionally. If he could do that intentionally; he would be a perennial allstar and not a douchbag.

Lift stick, Lift leg, Upper body battle, check (“trying to knock out”) and slide the blade down the back of the skate to cut the Achilles

25.3 secs left – stick battle
    25.0 secs left – leverage battle
    24.2 secs left – contact with the boars.

just not possible. If this play involved 99% of the other players in the league it wouldn’t be an issue. I think Matt Cooke was a wreckless and awful hockey player, but he has actually gotten better. I still don’t trust him, but just because someone committed a crime in the past doesn’t mean they are always going to be guilty.

I feel dirty. Sorry Marc Savard.

10. sjsharks66 - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Maybe he should have been wearing the cut resistant socks that are available to all players. Why refuse something that would protect you?

11. jb8383 - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Definitely was a dirty play. All I have to say is if someone did the same thing to, let’s say, Sidney Crosby, the league would have taken action, and this would be a way bigger issue.

• mehetmet - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:29 AM

wtf are you talking about? It was a star, Karlsson – you know the Norris Trophy winner. It’s not like this was Chris Butler.

• jb8383 - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Yeah I know he’s a star too, but I’m just saying if it was him, the nhl’s golden boy, I think a lot of people’s opinion’s on this issue would be very different.

• sabatimus - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Karlsson is a NOBODY to the league’s visibility. Crosby is the poster boy the NHL has chosen to rally behind. Whether they are both stars or not is irrelevant.

• pepper2011 - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:46 PM

whoops posted this to the wrong comment initally…

Hate to point this out,but he is one of the NHL’s “golden boys”. That’s why he won the Norris. No doubt he is the best offensive defenseman in the league, but if I need to stop Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin the Sedin’s I’m looking at Chara or Weber or 4 guys on the Rangers. Norris is for best defenseman. He had very little PK time on a team that didn’t have other stud defensemen that he’s just not there yet defensively. I need a guy on the point for a PP – he is my man. I need to neutralize Toews in game 7 – Chara or Weber.

• cavafox - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Really? And that’s why Dave Steckel got nothing? The injury from Steckel was worse than this injury.

• jb8383 - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Weren’t both season ending injuries?

• cavafox - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM

One has a defined recovery, the other one does not and ended up lasting over an entire year.

• jb8383 - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I disagree, I’m not even a Sens fan I just think it’s sucks that the league isn’t taking any action here. To me, it was intentional when I look at the play. I am not saying Cooke planned the whole thing to happen this way or anything, it just happened in the moment, but I think he intentionally picked up his leg and intentionally stomped down on Karlsson’s leg.

• aso513 - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM

What a dopey comment get over your Crosby jealousy. Steckel never received discipline for the head shot in the classic so your theory has no validity.

• pepper2011 - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:36 PM

12. kingsforever - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Cooke had malicious intent. He just didn’t intend THAT specific injury.

• aso513 - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Kingsforever I’m sure by forever you mean since last years playoff run but seriously you know nothing about the game if you really believe that.

Any belief that Cooke had any intent on this play is just running with an ignorant opinion and clearly no one is going to change your thoughts on the matter. So with that I tell those who believe there was intent on this play, good for you, keep believing it.

13. ndrick731 - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM

As a flyers fan who thinks Cooke is one of the dirtiest players to ever play I can’t see this play as dirty or intentional. I’m sure there were a half dozen cheap shots he delivered during the game but that wasn’t one of them. The NHL- Penguin hype machine says that Cooke has cleaned up his game. He really hasn’t. He just knows how to hide the cheap shots better. He is second in the league to hiding behind refs after throwing a cheap shot. Malkin is by far the first. I am always amazed at how fast Malkin can find a referee to hide behind after he spears or slashes somebody

• cavafox - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Malkin leads the team in penalties. He isn’t hiding anywhere other than the box.

• prosportswashington - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Leading the team in penalties doesn’t make you tough, google “Alex Semin”

• cavafox - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Never said he was tough, ndrick said Malkin hides behind the refs as if they aren’t calling his penalties. It is very well known that Malkin is hot tempered and teams can set him off easily. He isn’t hiding, he is getting called for his penalties.

14. cavafox - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:42 AM

This post makes no sense.

“Cooke tried to take me out… but he didn’t, he wasn’t trying to cut me but he was trying to take me out”

Then why didn’t cook just board EK? Would have been a lot easier!

Is Cook to blame for EK’s season ending? Yes, that’s called cause and effect. Cooke’s skate cut EK’s Achilles thus ending his season. It was an accident but by the pure causality of Cooke causing the injury, yes he would be the person to blame. Just like Dave Steckel was to blame of Crosby missing an entire season.

• sabatimus - Feb 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Because boarding is more blatant. Cooke made his play look like an accident. The pundits and hockey people all over the place get to argue about it and most have come to the conclusion that it wasn’t dirty. But just because all these talking heads agree that it wasn’t dirty doesn’t mean it wasn’t dirty. There was a distinct chop-down motion that most people seem to be ignoring.

• jb8383 - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Totally agree. How is it not intentional if you pick up your leg and stomp down on the other guy’s leg with your sharp blade? Watch the play again…he stomps on his leg.

• cavafox - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:36 PM

You really need to go get your tinfoil hat out if you think Cooke is some type of super secret ninja who plans these types of things.

You basically just said… well everyone thinks it wasn’t dirty EXCEPT those in Ottawa, they know the truth!

If there was ANYONE for the league and media to really give it to, Matt Cooke is that person. You think there are better ratings and discussion in ‘oh it’s not intentional’? It just wasn’t there. Not for the media, not for TSN, not for NBC Sports and not for Shanny.

But go ahead, Ottawa knows the truth.

With all that said, I get it, I STILL blame Steckel for Crosby’s concussion.

• pepper2011 - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Why are you watching this in SUPER SLOW MOTION? This is less than 2 second of time that is displayed in 15 seconds. If you look at ANYTHING like this it will distort your perception. IF it happened over the course of 15 seconds you’d have a case. this was literally less than 2 seconds in real time.
        according to this video the cut took place at the :12 mark (aprox.) he had NO reaction until the :23 second mark.

• jb8383 - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Just because the video is in slow motion doesn’t change what happened in the video. It doesn’t distort the fact that he picked up his leg and then his skate came down and just happened to slice the Achilles tendon of another player. You’re telling me that was an accident. Don’t buy that at all. These are professional players – he should have been more aware of where his skate was and put it back down on the ice. There wasn’t even any reason to pick up his skate off the ice in the first place.

• cavafox - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Every time you say “There wasn’t even any reason to pick up his skate off the ice in the first place.” tells me you have NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

• jb8383 - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:33 PM

wtf are you talking about? every time I say it, I just said it there, once, so what are you talking about. The point is he seriously injured another player, cost him his season, maybe more who knows. I don’t think it was a total accident. Cooke’s a dirty player. period.

• sabatimus - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:59 PM

A skate leaving the ice while attempting to staple someone to the boards does happen without malicious intent (cf my Boychuck comment earlier). I have little problem with it leaving the ice. Why it didn’t go back DOWN to the ice first is my beef.

15. mclovinhockey - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM

As much as I think it was not intentional, I can see why everyone one is so mad. This is alfies last shot at a cup he deserves. That injury could cost one of the best leaders in the game this final chance.

Also if it was me and a guy who has ended plenty of seasons and careers with intentional dirty hits did this to me I would flip out as well. There was no reason for cookes foot to be up or for him to stomp it down at that moment… So yeah it looks bad, but Cooke just is not that skilled to have been able to do something like that on purpose.

16. theageofquarrel - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I have never had any problem with the Sens or their fans.But since this accident happened the players and their fans sound like the biggest pussies EVER!

17. csilojohnson - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Tried to knock him out? I think if Cooke intended on knocking him out he would’ve been knocked out. Cooke didn’t even hit him hard. Nor did he go high.

18. prosportswashington - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM

It would be hard to just forgive somebody who injured you, especially with Cooke’s past. But really nobody knows either way. Non story.

19. bobhpine - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:48 PM

The kid is 22 years old and he suffered a serious injury. He’s allowed to be irrationally emotional. If Craig Adams had done this to him I sincerely doubt the outcry would be the same. That said, Cooke has to own his reputation and because of his past he gets no benefit of the doubt.

As for you mouth breathers talking about what would happen if this were Sidney Crosby, the blindside hit by David Steckel that put him out for a year was for more questionable regarding intent, and there were far fewer accusations about Steckel. Big, fast guys with sticks and sharp skates play and incredibly fast game on a sheet of ice. Bad stuff will happen unfortunately. I hope Karlsson returns to form, but to insinuate that Cooke meant to stomp on the one inch crease where there is no protection on a play where Cooke was looking the other way is just not right.

• shoobiedoobin - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Oh save the smugness. Because he was looking the other way, he’s innocent? Alright, I’ll be sure to use that every time I hurt someone. Well you see, I wasn’t looking! And this obviously means I’m free and clear! Yippee!

Get real. These are pro athletes and anyone good enough to make it to the NHL can throw out his heel and kick downward without looking directly at where he’s doing it.

If every NHL player had to look directly at what they were concentrating on, they’d all be in the hospital. These guys take passes, shots and deke without looking at the puck. It’s perfectly reasonable to say that Cooke meant to throw a heel stomp, he just didn’t care where it landed. Just toss a little cheap shot for a fractional advantage. Those little tiny advantages are what athletes attempt every game.

I doubt he meant to sever 90% of his tendon but he sure as hell meant to kick him. Dirty stuff happens like this all the time. Little elbows to the head that one day will lead to a shot to the temple by accident and a concussion or brain damage. A little stick poke that will one day hit a guy the wrong way and put him out a season with internal damage. A cross check to the back that is careless and hits a guys neck and out he goes to the IR for the season.

These stomps always seem to happen to the Simons and Prongers and Cookes. I never see Datsyuk or St Louis or Campbell having these “accidents” happen.

It LOOKED like an accident. So when one logic-starved talking head in a position we consider credible says it was clean we all line up to follow. Look at everyone defending him-no one describes it and concludes it was an accident, they all just take comfort in numbers (a typical insecure human response). The group thinks it’s OK, so that’s reason enough to follow. Hell with that, think for yourself. Use your eyes. He threw a careless stomp and it turned out worse than he intended. Still guilty.

• aso513 - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Shoobiedoobin wins the award for longest post without really proving any type of point. Reading it alone makes me feel less intelligent.

20. shoobiedoobin - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Everything is perfectly fine until the downward stomp. Pinning a guy doesn’t include purposely stomping downward with your heel. Period.

• sportsfreak13 - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:11 PM

You are right because what goes up doesn’t necessarily have to come down.

• shoobiedoobin - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Really? You’re going to try to gravity thing? Everyone brings their skates down like normal people. Cooke brought his down and IN ADDITION kicked his heel down.

Next excuse in 3, 2, 1…

• sportsfreak13 - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I don’t need an exuse. When reporters asked NHL GM’s and players outside of Ottawa if this was an accident or done on purpose,every single one of them (including people who hate matt cooke) said accident. You sir are in the minority and there isn’t one single person (outside of ottawa) in the NHL who will say otherwise.

• shoobiedoobin - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:35 PM

LOL just like I said earlier, people like you trust the hive’s opnion over your own eyes. I don’t care what any of them say. I saw a heel kick. That wasn’t an accident. He was careless with his skate and should’ve paid but didn’t. And don’t tell me he didn’t break a rule, there’s a rule in the rulebook for stomping like any other infraction. But take comfort in numbers, it only proves you have low self esteem and no confidence in your own mind.

• sportsfreak13 - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Haha i have low self esteem yet you like all your own posts hahaha. Ok buddy have a nice day. My eyes didn’t see a stomping motion and neither did any other Former/current NHL player outside of ottawa. You are entitled to your oppinion and i respect that but i disagree as do most.

• shoobiedoobin - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Just like I thought, you got nothin’. Why not try defending your lame-duck gravity argument? Oh and I don’t like my posts, I just dislike yours that’s all.

If you can’t see that stomp I feel sorry for you. Either no one ever taught you what a stomp was, or you have the great ability to miss what you don’t want to see. The type to tell himself his living room is empty when there’s an elephant sitting in it.

• sportsfreak13 - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:59 PM

My lame duck gravity excuse doesn’t need defending, but here i go anyways. the stick jostling between cooke and karlasson sent cooke off balance which resulted in his skate coming down at a weird angle. I do know what a stomp is because i have seen PK subban do it multiple times. Sorry if i assume you like your own posts its just funny after 2 seconds of your post going up you have one like already. I guess that is just a big coincedence though. My bad.

• shoobiedoobin - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Uh dude, he was bringing his leg down just fine. No stick involved. He, of his own volition, kicked his heel. Besides, I thought he was just bringing his leg down? Simple gravity? Funny how you change your tune.

PK Subban has nothing to do with this. I don’t care if he stomped anyone or not.

• sportsfreak13 - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:09 PM

He was just bringing his foot down (that didn’t change) Look at Cooke and Karlesson sticks get tangled up during the time his foot is in the air and hes looking the other way. That jostling sent him off balance so while bringing his foot down it went at a weird angle. Wow i really have to slow it down for you huh. I brough PK into this to prove that i know what a stomp looks like nothing more nothing less.

• shoobiedoobin - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM

This is me telling you the sky is blue and you telling me that it’s not. The sticks did nothing. They were tangled from the beginning and while Cooke was attempting to display how gravity works, they moved what? Maybe 10 degrees and nothing was out of the ordinary and maybe 2 degrees in the span when Cooke decided to randomly kick his heel. No stick caused this. That’s insane and quite clearly false.

You’re higher than giraffe bung if you think the sticks had anything to do with this. Or you’re just too deep into an argument to admit you’re wrong. Because this went from “he was just bringing his leg down” to “OMG THE STICKS TANGLING MADE HIM LOSE HIS BALANCE SOMEHOW”. Cuckoo, cuckoo…

• sportsfreak13 - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM

So you are saying that when you have one foot on an ice surface and your stick is tangled up with another persons stick in the air during a check (that happened in less then 2 seconds) it has zero effect on a person balance? Ok cool.

• shoobiedoobin - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I’m not talking about “a person” like this is hypothetical. I’m talking about that play, them, in that circumstance because it’s not hypothetical.

If you watch that replay and think the stick caused a random heel kick out of nowhere, LMAO, I want whatever you’re drinking.

• sportsfreak13 - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM

With your IQ i wouldn’t recomend you drink anything other then water.

• shoobiedoobin - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I’m actually quite intelligent, thanks. But it’s nice to see I struck a nerve.

• sportsfreak13 - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM

haha i dont let internet trolls bother me. Nice try though. Hope you have a nice day.

• shoobiedoobin - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Hey, you insulted me but somehow I don’t bother you. But don’t worry, I didn’t just notice that and trump you yet again, I’m far too stupid to have done that.

DER!

• sportsfreak13 - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Whatever helps you sleep at night kid. Still hope you have nice day.Cheers

• shoobiedoobin - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:56 PM

You’ve signed off almost a half dozen times now. Are you done yet?

21. flyeredup - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Bitter Party, table for 1.

22. betrayedbylife - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM

whenever i’m feeling too smart, hopeful or happy, i come and read the comment section of this blog.

23. lbmclean - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:54 PM

If you watch it and don’t think it was intentional, then you are either a Pens fan or intellectually dishonest.

Ndamukong Suh thinks it was brutal

24. drewsylvania - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Water is wet, too.

This is the laziest thing ever written.

25. aso513 - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Today I leaned shoobiedoobin is not that bright, dare I say he is flat out dumb.

26. steelcity412 - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:21 PM

What does Cooke gain by doin this intentionally ? It wasn’t a playoff game or any game of magnitude ! Why Would Cooke want to ruin his rep again after finally starting to play clean ? Doesn’t make sense to me. I’m a pens fan but I also feel terrible that something like that occurred but unfortunately there are risks involved in hockey just like all sports . One thing I’m sick of is the people who keep watching the play over and over in slow motion .. A lot of plays prob look dirty In slow motion .

27. bobhpine - Feb 22, 2013 at 8:53 PM

The NHL, every player not on the Senators who commented on the play, and every commentator, all seem to think it was an accident.

Mind you, all three of these groups of people HATE Matt Cooke.

Matt Cooke’s last suspension was for 17 games. Do you people really think the NHL wants to protect this guy? Don’t you think if they even divined a shred of intent they’d throw the book at him?

I think the NHL is run by idiots, don’t get me wrong. But I have a hard time believing Matt Cooke is a guy the NHL wants to protect all of a sudden.

Next steps for the Oilers after Eakins