Feb 22, 2013, 6:39 PM EDT
Hall, 21, was given a five-minute major and game misconduct for the hit. Clutterbuck left the contest and did not return, and is currently listed as out for Minnesota’s next game (Saturday at Calgary) with a thigh contusion.
“Although this play happens quickly, Hall is in control of himself, and in control of this hit,” NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan explained. “He makes the decision to step up, and deliver a low check on a player who is not engaged with him whatsoever.”
For further explanation, here’s the video:
Shanhan noted that Clutterbuck’s injury and Hall’s incident-free history played a factor in the decision.
Hall will now forfeit $9,729.72 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund, and miss Edmonton’s game on Saturday against Phoenix and on Tuesday in Chicago.
Of note, this is two games less than what then-Colorado forward Kevin Porter received last year for kneeing Vancouver’s David Booth. Porter served a four-game suspension while Booth missed 18 games with a MCL injury.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54