Feb 22, 2013, 6:39 PM EST
Hall, 21, was given a five-minute major and game misconduct for the hit. Clutterbuck left the contest and did not return, and is currently listed as out for Minnesota’s next game (Saturday at Calgary) with a thigh contusion.
“Although this play happens quickly, Hall is in control of himself, and in control of this hit,” NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan explained. “He makes the decision to step up, and deliver a low check on a player who is not engaged with him whatsoever.”
For further explanation, here’s the video:
Shanhan noted that Clutterbuck’s injury and Hall’s incident-free history played a factor in the decision.
Hall will now forfeit $9,729.72 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund, and miss Edmonton’s game on Saturday against Phoenix and on Tuesday in Chicago.
Of note, this is two games less than what then-Colorado forward Kevin Porter received last year for kneeing Vancouver’s David Booth. Porter served a four-game suspension while Booth missed 18 games with a MCL injury.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 19
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)