Feb 22, 2013, 6:39 PM EDT
Hall, 21, was given a five-minute major and game misconduct for the hit. Clutterbuck left the contest and did not return, and is currently listed as out for Minnesota’s next game (Saturday at Calgary) with a thigh contusion.
“Although this play happens quickly, Hall is in control of himself, and in control of this hit,” NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan explained. “He makes the decision to step up, and deliver a low check on a player who is not engaged with him whatsoever.”
For further explanation, here’s the video:
Shanhan noted that Clutterbuck’s injury and Hall’s incident-free history played a factor in the decision.
Hall will now forfeit $9,729.72 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund, and miss Edmonton’s game on Saturday against Phoenix and on Tuesday in Chicago.
Of note, this is two games less than what then-Colorado forward Kevin Porter received last year for kneeing Vancouver’s David Booth. Porter served a four-game suspension while Booth missed 18 games with a MCL injury.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)