Feb 22, 2013, 6:39 PM EDT
Hall, 21, was given a five-minute major and game misconduct for the hit. Clutterbuck left the contest and did not return, and is currently listed as out for Minnesota’s next game (Saturday at Calgary) with a thigh contusion.
“Although this play happens quickly, Hall is in control of himself, and in control of this hit,” NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan explained. “He makes the decision to step up, and deliver a low check on a player who is not engaged with him whatsoever.”
For further explanation, here’s the video:
Shanhan noted that Clutterbuck’s injury and Hall’s incident-free history played a factor in the decision.
Hall will now forfeit $9,729.72 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund, and miss Edmonton’s game on Saturday against Phoenix and on Tuesday in Chicago.
Of note, this is two games less than what then-Colorado forward Kevin Porter received last year for kneeing Vancouver’s David Booth. Porter served a four-game suspension while Booth missed 18 games with a MCL injury.
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 1
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 27
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PHT: Blackhawks rattle Rask in Game 4
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT Extra: Will the Spurs recover for Game 7?
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- HBT: Hamilton dropped to 7th in Angels lineup