Feb 22, 2013, 5:12 PM EST
The Blue Jackets forward was livid following his club’s 3-2 win on Thursday after a first-period fight he thought was going to be against Wings defenseman Jonathan Ericsson — but ended up being against Tootoo:
Here’s Dorsett’s emotional reaction, from the Columbus Dispatch:
“You think you’re fighting a 6-5 Ericsson and then Jordin Tootoo comes in and sucker punches you. But that’s just Jordin Tootoo. You expect those kind of things from him.”
The shot from Tootoo bloodied Dorsett’s nose, which appeared askew afterward (“It’s probably broken,” Dorsett said after the game.).
“(Ericsson) and I were backing away. Tootoo was just being himself, being the cheap player that he is and coming in swinging. In my eyes, that should be a suspension.
“Those are the type of things that they’re trying to get out of the game but he’s an irrelevant player, so it doesn’t even matter.”
Dorsett and Tootoo were both given a five-minute fighting majors on the play, while Tootoo got an extra 10-minute misconduct and two-minute instigating minor.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 18
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5