Feb 22, 2013, 5:12 PM EDT
The Blue Jackets forward was livid following his club’s 3-2 win on Thursday after a first-period fight he thought was going to be against Wings defenseman Jonathan Ericsson — but ended up being against Tootoo:
Here’s Dorsett’s emotional reaction, from the Columbus Dispatch:
“You think you’re fighting a 6-5 Ericsson and then Jordin Tootoo comes in and sucker punches you. But that’s just Jordin Tootoo. You expect those kind of things from him.”
The shot from Tootoo bloodied Dorsett’s nose, which appeared askew afterward (“It’s probably broken,” Dorsett said after the game.).
“(Ericsson) and I were backing away. Tootoo was just being himself, being the cheap player that he is and coming in swinging. In my eyes, that should be a suspension.
“Those are the type of things that they’re trying to get out of the game but he’s an irrelevant player, so it doesn’t even matter.”
Dorsett and Tootoo were both given a five-minute fighting majors on the play, while Tootoo got an extra 10-minute misconduct and two-minute instigating minor.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25