Feb 22, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche will get a big boost this weekend as captain Gabriel Landeskog returns to the lineup for the first time in 11 games.
Landeskog, 20, will travel with the team for its three-game Western road swing (Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose) and play Saturday at the Staples Center against the Kings.
“I feel good out there,” Landeskog said on Friday. “Today was the first practice with the guys and I finally got out of that pumpkin jersey — I was extremely excited and eager to get back in the lineup and help the guys out.”
The ‘pumpkin jersey’ is in reference to the orange non-contact jersey Landeskog wore for most of the week.
He doffed it on Friday and participated fully with his Avlanche teammates in all drills — contact ones included — the final step in returning from a concussion suffered on Jan. 26 on a big hit from San Jose defenseman Brad Stuart.
Here’s video of Landeskog addressing reporters following practice, courtesy the Avalanche website:
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession 17
- Video: Controversial Kane goal has Laviolette fuming 12
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 6
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 36
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 45
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38