Feb 22, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche will get a big boost this weekend as captain Gabriel Landeskog returns to the lineup for the first time in 11 games.
Landeskog, 20, will travel with the team for its three-game Western road swing (Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose) and play Saturday at the Staples Center against the Kings.
“I feel good out there,” Landeskog said on Friday. “Today was the first practice with the guys and I finally got out of that pumpkin jersey — I was extremely excited and eager to get back in the lineup and help the guys out.”
The ‘pumpkin jersey’ is in reference to the orange non-contact jersey Landeskog wore for most of the week.
He doffed it on Friday and participated fully with his Avlanche teammates in all drills — contact ones included — the final step in returning from a concussion suffered on Jan. 26 on a big hit from San Jose defenseman Brad Stuart.
Here’s video of Landeskog addressing reporters following practice, courtesy the Avalanche website:
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 68
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 32
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 22
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)