Feb 21, 2013, 8:59 AM EST
The Detroit Red Wings haven’t had much luck this season when it’s come to injuries, so when 28-year-old goaltender left Tuesday’s game for what was later revealed to be blurry vision, you could be forgiven if you assumed the worst.
Fortunately for the Red Wings, this is one instance where they seem to have caught a break.
Howard has been cleared to play after undergoing tests Wednesday, according to the Detroit Free Press. It remains to be seen if he’ll start tonight against the Columbus Blue Jackets.
The Red Wings have endured over 100 man-games lost to injuries and will have to move forward without forward Mikael Samuelsson, who has a fractured finger and will miss a minimum of two weeks.
Detroit’s lost four straight contests and has slipped into a tie for eighth place in the Western Conference. Playing against the last place Blue Jackets might be just what they need.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)